Rock in your refugium?

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any sources for the live rock? Like I mentioned with lavey, I'm just nervous about the pests that ocean cured rock will introduce.
Tampa Bay Salt Water, KP Aquatics, or even Gulf Live Rocks. Buy mostly base rock @ around $9/lb. plus shipping. Make sure it ships in water. Follow the suppliers instructions for acclimation. Toss a Peppermint Shrimp or some Apitasia eating Nudi's, some Hermit Crabs, and a few Bumble Bee Snails in the sump along with the new live rock.

The fear of pests should not stop you from adding live rock. They can be dealt with. I get more pests from coral frags than I ever got from live rock. I just got through a bout with Aiptasia that I got from a bunch of Zoanthid frags. My choices to rid the system of them were limited by one particular Shrimp and Nudi loving Wrasse. All it took was patience, some elbow grease, Aiptasia-X, and a Copperband Butterfly. Good excuse to buy a Copperband to boot! I love them.

Oh... and if it's not pests, it'll be something else troubling the tank. While getting the Copperband to eat, I overfed the tank. Now, while the Aiptasia are gone and the Copperband is fat & happy, I have some sort of brown bacterial mat that is trying to grow. I'm working on that now. I think it's a rule... If if aint one thing, it's another. Welcome to reefing.

OP
OP
Picassoclown

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in middle tn, so can't help you there, but get where you are coming from on not getting it the LFS locally.

We do have LFS around here that keep rock in fishless tanks that is ghost fed or ammonia dosed to keep it "live". There will be some newer rock in there as well (all previously dry rock), but typically when they add a load they dose the holding tank up to at least seed the rock with some bacteria quickly.

In doing this, the rock is pest free at least. Or you can choose from a container that is LR from where someone traded in some, tore down a tank, or whatever. That rock you will need to QT of course.
Hey Steve. I appreciate the help. I was able to get in touch with a reputable supplier I always buy frags from and they are sending me some media that they use on their SPS tanks. That should help out big time!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Steve. I appreciate the help. I was able to get in touch with a reputable supplier I always buy frags from and they are sending me some media that they use on their SPS tanks. That should help out big time!
Not a problem and that is awesome to hear. Nothing like a good seeding culture from an established tank to get the bac population going.

OP
OP
Picassoclown

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tampa Bay Salt Water, KP Aquatics, or even Gulf Live Rocks. Buy mostly base rock @ around $9/lb. plus shipping. Make sure it ships in water. Follow the suppliers instructions for acclimation. Toss a Peppermint Shrimp or some Apitasia eating Nudi's, some Hermit Crabs, and a few Bumble Bee Snails in the sump along with the new live rock.

The fear of pests should not stop you from adding live rock. They can be dealt with. I get more pests from coral frags than I ever got from live rock. I just got through a bout with Aiptasia that I got from a bunch of Zoanthid frags. My choices to rid the system of them were limited by one particular Shrimp and Nudi loving Wrasse. All it took was patience, some elbow grease, Aiptasia-X, and a Copperband Butterfly. Good excuse to buy a Copperband to boot! I love them.

Oh... and if it's not pests, it'll be something else troubling the tank. While getting the Copperband to eat, I overfed the tank. Now, while the Aiptasia are gone and the Copperband is fat & happy, I have some sort of brown bacterial mat that is trying to grow. I'm working on that now. I think it's a rule... If if aint one thing, it's another. Welcome to reefing.

Thanks for the feedback reefgeezer. I hear you with the copper bands. They are such a beautiful fish! You are right, I actually said that last week, it's always something hahaha. I got some media from a top supplier, so I think I will be okay :)

OP
OP
Picassoclown

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the largest MarinePure blocks in my sump/fuge... feel like they can hold a lot more bacteria.
That's the same one I have. Does a pretty good job giving the pods a place to live and reproduce.

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree100% I actually just removed my rock from my fuge two days ago. It was dry rock and it was an algae farm- not the good kind- like black slime.
AC8AF3AE-B686-455E-87EE-9C67EC259A96.jpeg

Despite having minimal flow, my chaeto had been growing like a champ. That said when i took the rock out I also put a new powerhead in for some tumble. I left my sand in there and put my copepod hotel in as well.

OP
OP
Picassoclown

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree100% I actually just removed my rock from my fuge two days ago. It was dry rock and it was an algae farm- not the good kind- like black slime.
AC8AF3AE-B686-455E-87EE-9C67EC259A96.jpeg

Despite having minimal flow, my chaeto had been growing like a champ. That said when i took the rock out I also put a new powerhead in for some tumble. I left my sand in there and put my copepod hotel in as well.
What on earth is that?! Thats crazy lol.

goldfish423

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing I want to keep lol
I Have a DARK DARK green slime growing on my sump rocks. they bubble too when the light is on overnight. Does anyone know if this is beneficial? or should i be removing these rocks as well?
So far. all is well up in the tank No sign of DARK green film algae but it also has a Cleanup crew

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have a DARK DARK green slime growing on my sump rocks. they bubble too when the light is on overnight. Does anyone know if this is beneficial? or should i be removing these rocks as well?
So far. all is well up in the tank No sign of DARK green film algae but it also has a Cleanup crew
What do you have in your refugium that needs light?

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten away from Cheato and lights in my refugium over the years. All that is in my Refugium is live sand, rubble rock, and base rock... and of course sponges, tube worms, brittle stars, some hermit crabs and snails, a few scallops and the bivalves in the bae rock, and lots of Pods.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back