Rock Placement for corals

glooper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is my rock placement that is currently in my tank, should I change anything up?
I was thinking when I eventually add coral that I would maybe want the top rock off since it may be up too high but I'm not sure.
Open to suggestions and criticism.
Thanks

1651087170881.png

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks nice, depending on your light setup and intensity anything on that top rock would need to LOVE high PAR. I think removing it, the scape would still look nice.

I actually just messed with my scape today for the same reason, I had a rock that I thought would be too high for corals.

OP
OP
G

glooper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks nice, depending on your light setup and intensity anything on that top rock would need to LOVE high PAR. I think removing it, the scape would still look nice.

I actually just messed with my scape today for the same reason, I had a rock that I thought would be too high for corals.
Maybe I'll keep it how it is then and save the top for something that will need the light in the future. thanks

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I could see is potential issues down the road with corals growing out. Depending on what corals you go with some may spread rapidly and take over rocks with slow growers. I've just gotten to this point with my tank and had to create little islands with some rocks to protect others from getting over run. Also depending on the corals if they grow into each other some will sting and kill other corals. Nothing to worry about now but something to consider down the road.

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A couple things to consider when scaping a tank should be lighting and flow. Will your rock work allow for adequate flow for your corals and are you going to have any dead zones as that could result in detritus build up and possible Cyano bacteria. As far as lighting you want to make sure you won't have too many areas which will be shaded when you start placing corals in there. Depending on what types of corals you want to put in your tank and what type of lighting you are using, you should plan for hot spots and what corals will need what intensity of lighting.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back