Rock questions - how much for new tank? At what point able to transfer corals from tank with Dino?

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello!

I’m getting ready to start a 75g tank with a 20 g sump.

I found a really good deal on caribsea south seas base rock and plan to do this mixed with 15-20# live rock from kp aquatics.

Additionally I have dry sand that I will be adding. I’m doing it this way instead of adding rock from my current tank I’m an attempt to avoid having a massive Dino outbreak due to limited competitors and a lot of real estate.

Questions:
How much dry rock is recommended in addition to the live rock?

What is the best way to cycle this? (Dry rock + sand cycle first and then live rock or all together?)

At what point would the tank be sufficiently established to reduce risk of dinos becoming a problem when transferring corals from a tank with dinos to the new tank?

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take soemthing from the dino tank, your new tank has dino. Most dino are not a death sentance, a couple are.

You want the best way? Put the sand and rock in a rubbermaid tote with a heater and circulation. Add the live rock and feed ammonia every couple days for a couple months. Ammonia and vingegar. It will be bursting with bacteria in no time.

Then take it all out, put in your new tank and add your fish.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos are in every tank. Just make it an environment that isn't friendly to them (such as 0.00 phosphate).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back