Rock releasing phosphate

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for feedback on something I am observing. My reef has been running for several years now and I have always had high phosphate levels > 0.2 - 0.3. The rock I used was dry rock from someone elses aquarium and stupidly, I never soaked the rock before using it my aquarium. For the first 2 years, I had to continually scrub the hair algae off the rocks and then it just became a layer of algae over the rocks but no coraline algae taking hold. Over the years I have attempted to lower my phosphate but when I do get to 0.05 - 0.1, I notice the algae on the rocks increases. This is notable and happens quit quickly.

Am I observing the leaching of phosphate from rocks and although the phosphate levels in the water column is low the algae is taking this up as quickly at the source. Lowering the levels in the in water column accelerates the leaching of phosphates making it more available for the algae growing on the rocks. Put in another way, the algae is literally taking it up immediately?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for feedback on something I am observing. My reef has been running for several years now and I have always had high phosphate levels > 0.2 - 0.3. The rock I used was dry rock from someone elses aquarium and stupidly, I never soaked the rock before using it my aquarium. For the first 2 years, I had to continually scrub the hair algae off the rocks and then it just became a layer of algae over the rocks but no coraline algae taking hold. Over the years I have attempted to lower my phosphate but when I do get to 0.05 - 0.1, I notice the algae on the rocks increases. This is notable and happens quit quickly.

Am I observing the leaching of phosphate from rocks and although the phosphate levels in the water column is low the algae is taking this up as quickly at the source. Lowering the levels in the in water column accelerates the leaching of phosphates making it more available for the algae growing on the rocks. Put in another way, the algae is literally taking it up immediately?
The idea of phosphate being adsorbed by aragonite under higher levels of PO4 and then desorbing under a lower PO4 concentration is scientifically established.

Your idea for explaining algae growth is among the many in the category of “nuisance photosynthetic organisms proliferate under nutrient depletion”.

Back