Rock scape for reefer 90

jdm_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello so I have a reefer 900 and will have fish like tangs wrasses and more and have started my rock scape and want some opinions on it. It is only half of the tank and once done will post other side it will be a mixed reef with sps on top so please let me know if there is any problems or anything else I can do to the scape? (also I have made sure it fits so that it not a problem)

5124F1A7-CE67-4BCD-AF58-19AB0FB9A697.jpeg

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, are you gonna glue/mortar those pieces together, or just hope they stay (even with wrasses) ??

Have you considered going higher, like 2/3rds of water height? I think it looks better, but then again if you want a lot of room for softies…

I’m building out a RSR625 right now and decided to go with a NSA aquascape (negative space) it was actually pretty easy and fun to build, and I’m happy with the result (build thread) but like you I’m half done, gotta build another piece for the other half now…

Cheers!

OP
OP
J

jdm_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on there RsR 625 I’m going Morten it E-Marco and have considers going higher I’m probably going to make it higher on the other half to give a slope look! I love the look of the NSA scapes and done one in my previous reef that I am upgrading to this it was lots of fun but want to have more room for my coral and more hiding spaces this times!

BillFish Coral Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to go with SPS on top I suggest you look at videos on aquascaping. What I've seen says to go no higher than about half of tank height to allow for upward growth. Three years ago I changed my scape based on artistic theory with lines of tape on the glass and high spots at two- thirds and found that was a mistake. I'm about to make an aquascape for a new tank using Marco Rocks and the half-height thinking. You might want go a little higher here and there to allow for more shading for your lps/softies below.

Good luck!

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there's a lack of depth. Most of the rocks are lined up at the back of the aquarium.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion. An aquascape should have enough caves and crevices for each fish to sleep in or call theirs. NSA might look cool from a human's point of view, but sucks from a fish's perspective, that's crammed into a tank with others and no way to get away from them. All of my fish (including a tang), with the exception of two banggais, disappear into the rock every night. I made two caves that would accommodate the tang and he sleeps in one or the other every night, and uses them during the day whenever he's nervous. I've got a damsel that I still can't figure out what hole he is sleeping in. And my wrasses go missing for hours in the rocks. NSA, no cave or holes, is a poor habitat for a reef fish.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion. An aquascape should have enough caves and crevices for each fish to sleep in or call theirs. NSA might look cool from a human's point of view, but sucks from a fish's perspective, that's crammed into a tank with others and no way to get away from them. All of my fish (including a tang), with the exception of two banggais, disappear into the rock every night. I made two caves that would accommodate the tang and he sleeps in one or the other every night, and uses them during the day whenever he's nervous. I've got a damsel that I still can't figure out what hole he is sleeping in. And my wrasses go missing for hours in the rocks. NSA, no cave or holes, is a poor habitat for a reef fish.
+1

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the style and concept you have going there. Personally I would double the current rocks being used.

OP
OP
J

jdm_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the concern but Don’t worry that is only half the tank and I just finished the other side I new this would be a problem so made this structure super Technical with tons of caves I will post a pick!

OP
OP
J

jdm_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the style and concept you have going there. Personally I would double the current rocks being used.
Thank you for the input but this was only half the tank and just finished the other side I made it with more then double the rock you see with lots of caves I will post a pic

OP
OP
J

jdm_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to go with SPS on top I suggest you look at videos on aquascaping. What I've seen says to go no higher than about half of tank height to allow for upward growth. Three years ago I changed my scape based on artistic theory with lines of tape on the glass and high spots at two- thirds and found that was a mistake. I'm about to make an aquascape for a new tank using Marco Rocks and the half-height thinking. You might want go a little higher here and there to allow for more shading for your lps/softies below.

Good luck!
Thank you for your thought on this. Though this is only half the tank the other half is a bit higher and also when I run out of room for the coral my plan is to add more rock on top for more space

pentest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello so I have a reefer 900 and will have fish like tangs wrasses and more and have started my rock scape and want some opinions on it. It is only half of the tank and once done will post other side it will be a mixed reef with sps on top so please let me know if there is any problems or anything else I can do to the scape? (also I have made sure it fits so that it not a problem)

5124F1A7-CE67-4BCD-AF58-19AB0FB9A697.jpeg Very nice if you like to clean the back side glass then leave some space, when the ugly phase starts

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back