rock worm

ethan_ftf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, new to the hobby. I have some live rock in my tank for about 3 months now, just cycled. Today this worm popped out of a hole in the rock, its about an inch long, should I remove it, or be worried about? Any advice is appreciated.

worm.jpg

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can't give ID as this one don't look like bristle worm or fireworm, isn't and bobbit worm.
The interesting there is on each segment it have bristles like, and they are all around the worm (not only on sides like on the bristle worms)

#reefsquad Can't find this worm at all in the DBs

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worm for sure. One of the good guys, for the most part. Part of the CUC.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worm for sure. One of the good guys, for the most part. Part of the CUC.
when I zoom it the "bristles" on this one are all around the segments, don't look only on the sides of the worm.
Can you zoom it a bit more and see what I mean @P-Dub ? And the worm is a bit more rounded, not like the usual bristle worm (if there is any SP which is looking like that can be bristle, bit personally never seen like this one)

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I zoom it the "bristles" on this one are all around the segments, don't look only on the sides of the worm.
Can you zoom it a bit more and see what I mean @P-Dub ? And the worm is a bit more rounded, not like the usual bristle worm (if there is any SP which is looking like that can be bristle, bit personally never seen like this one)

doesn’t look like a bristle to me either.

IMO when in doubt take it out.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, I can zoom in. From the photo, I'd say bristle worm. Could be a clam worm, too. Polychaeta for certain. I do not see the bristles all around but only on the lateral portions of the segments. If you could point out where you are seeing circumferential bristles...?

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, I see lateral bristles only. Without a head shot, we cannot determine if it is a "clam worm".
worm.jpg

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be Phyllodocidae?
Possible as well, however, without a head shot, it cannot be ruled in or out. Still betting on a bristle with 95% certainty. But Lord knows I've been wrong when 100% certain so, there is that..,.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look like the normal bristleworms. Can you get another picture?
Well, we have to keep in mind that the Polychaete, "bristle worm" classification harbors well over 10,000 species, so, there is that, also... I vote for more photos as well!

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, I see lateral bristles only. Without a head shot, we cannot determine if it is a "clam worm".
worm.jpg
That's how I see it on my screen

worm1.png

After I zoom it to the possible maximum (before the picture pixelated) I see more bristles/hair like on the segments ( Retina MAC screen), just can't change the angle to confirm it, but that's only what I can see from the focus, which is behind the worm (on the LR just above left the worm)

@ethan_ftf can you get another shot please and if can be from another angle will be better please. Also Video is good idea as well for better ID it.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how I see it on my screen

worm1.png

After I zoom it to the possible maximum (before the picture pixelated) I see more bristles/hair like on the segments ( Retina MAC screen), just can't change the angle to confirm it, but that's only what I can see from the focus, which is behind the worm (on the LR just above left the worm)

@ethan_ftf can you get another shot please and if can be from another angle will be better please. Also Video is good idea as well for better ID it.
Still can't see what you are seeing. But, old eyes and all...o_O

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still can't see what you are seeing. But, old eyes and all...o_O
the same here, because of that I went getting expensive screen ( "cinema" with very high resolution and big enough) to can zoom more and more sometimes. And sometimes I'm using and the magnifiers on the screen as well (after 20hrs front of the screen :D )

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, we have to keep in mind that the Polychaete, "bristle worm" classification harbors well over 10,000 species, so, there is that, also... I vote for more photos as well!
Oh, absolutely. But it doesn't look like the, for lack of a better term, "standard" bristleworm. The ones that are pink fading into bluish-purple, with white spines, that basically every tank ever has.

OP
OP
E

ethan_ftf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It went back into the rock, I'll try and get another picture when it comes out. That's the first time I've seen it before, in the 4 months the tank has been up, technically the tank is a fowlr right now, I'm getting a couple newby corals next month. So hopefully it won't bother them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back