rocks from the croatian sea, are they good in a reef tank?

martinpaksy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, i found these rocks when I was in croatia and im thinking about adding them in my reef tank, because they are very porosus, my question is that are these rocks good or bad? I want to improve my filteration with them
3F9F8A19-88A7-40F3-B551-D453BF09F8AD.jpeg
900645A8-1284-4680-8203-FFD8101DD90C.jpeg A7780099-5946-427C-AF64-9D9F33B8BFDD.jpeg

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, i found these rocks when I was in croatia and im thinking about adding them in my reef tank, because they are very porosus, my question is that are these rocks good or bad? I want to improve my filteration with them
3F9F8A19-88A7-40F3-B551-D453BF09F8AD.jpeg
900645A8-1284-4680-8203-FFD8101DD90C.jpeg A7780099-5946-427C-AF64-9D9F33B8BFDD.jpeg
They look like good, porous aquarium rocks, but there are a few things to bear in mind. Are you planning on adding them to a tank that is currently running or to a tank you are just beginning to cycle? The danger with rocks like this is that unless you are certain of the environmental conditions of their origin and sure that they are clean, you risk the rocks leaching hazardous chemicals, hydrocarbons, insecticides, etc. that they may have absorbed into your tank. I once had a piece of tufa rock from an old aquarium bleed toxic levels of copper into a tank I had set up. You'll want to cycle these in RO/DI water for awhile, at least until no more debris is dropping out of or peeling off the rocks. Some people clean their rock with muriatic acid, vinegar, or bleach prior to cycling, and depending on how dirty they are- check some of the other threads on here for more details. While you are cycling them, look for any excessive debris in the cycling container, any strong or unnatural odors, and any sort of oil slick or unusual build-up on the surface of the water. If you are planning on putting these into an existing system, be absolutely sure that they are clean; a bit of harmless organic debris (like the crud you might find dried on rocks that were in an old aquarium) won't be too bad in a new tank that is cycling, but the problem here is that you probably don't know what is actually on these rocks. So, the cleaner, the better. Honestly, if you have the option of buying dry reef rock, I'd go with that for safety. Sorry, to go on, but I'd always advise an abundance of caution with anything like this that you are considering adding to your tank.

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like good, porous aquarium rocks, but there are a few things to bear in mind. Are you planning on adding them to a tank that is currently running or to a tank you are just beginning to cycle? The danger with rocks like this is that unless you are certain of the environmental conditions of their origin and sure that they are clean, you risk the rocks leaching hazardous chemicals, hydrocarbons, insecticides, etc. that they may have absorbed into your tank. I once had a piece of tufa rock from an old aquarium bleed toxic levels of copper into a tank I had set up. You'll want to cycle these in RO/DI water for awhile, at least until no more debris is dropping out of or peeling off the rocks. Some people clean their rock with muriatic acid, vinegar, or bleach prior to cycling, and depending on how dirty they are- check some of the other threads on here for more details. While you are cycling them, look for any excessive debris in the cycling container, any strong or unnatural odors, and any sort of oil slick or unusual build-up on the surface of the water. If you are planning on putting these into an existing system, be absolutely sure that they are clean; a bit of harmless organic debris (like the crud you might find dried on rocks that were in an old aquarium) won't be too bad in a new tank that is cycling, but the problem here is that you probably don't know what is actually on these rocks. So, the cleaner, the better. Honestly, if you have the option of buying dry reef rock, I'd go with that for safety. Sorry, to go on, but I'd always advise an abundance of caution with anything like this that you are considering adding to your tank.
I misread your thread title- my apologies. I was thinking you found the rocks on land rather than in the ocean. The same caveats still apply, but just not so stringently. If you are confident that you got them from a clean area of the sea, I'd recommend cycling them in RO/DI saltwater for awhile to let any bad stuff die off or leach out. If after a few weeks cycling the water is running clear and smells like fresh ocean, or at least doesn't smell bad, you should be ok.

OP
OP
M

martinpaksy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I misread your thread title- my apologies. I was thinking you found the rocks on land rather than in the ocean. The same caveats still apply, but just not so stringently. If you are confident that you got them from a clean area of the sea, I'd recommend cycling them in RO/DI saltwater for awhile to let any bad stuff die off or leach out. If after a few weeks cycling the water is running clear and smells like fresh ocean, or at least doesn't smell bad, you should be ok.
i found most of them in the water, 80% of them containing calm shells, i had used them in freshwater tank before, but i sold them, I already have a tank with live rocks, i want to add them into that tank, but in this country, they are not selling dry rock nowadays

OP
OP
M

martinpaksy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i found most of them in the water, 80% of them containing calm shells, i had used them in freshwater tank before, but i sold them, I already have a tank with live rocks, i want to add them into that tank, but in this country, they are not selling dry rock nowadays
sorry, my English level is not perfect, I wanted to say that, i sold the freshwater fishes, not the rocks, here is my tank
image.jpg

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, my English level is not perfect, I wanted to say that, i sold the freshwater fishes, not the rocks, here is my tank
image.jpg
Great looking tank, nice selection of fish! A shame you can't get dry rock where you are. I have cycled dry rock in my reef tank that had been in a Tanganyikan cichlid aquarium I had for a time. I'm just getting started with it, have some live rock coming in a week.

OP
OP
M

martinpaksy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank, nice selection of fish! A shame you can't get dry rock where you are. I have cycled dry rock in my reef tank that had been in a Tanganyikan cichlid aquarium I had for a time. I'm just getting started with it, have some live rock coming in a week.
thank you! i have to place the clownfish into another tank, because they are bullying foxface, now im cleaning the dryrocks , i found some brown spots in one of the rocks, i do take a picture of it, i dont know what is that, but maybe you or somebody can tell me that, i wish it is not bad stuff or toxic, because that rock is a pretty one

Attachments

• DB01B6AB-3BD5-47D3-B996-1FBF189C9E3F.jpeg
    DB01B6AB-3BD5-47D3-B996-1FBF189C9E3F.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 59

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you! i have to place the clownfish into another tank, because they are bullying foxface, now im cleaning the dryrocks , i found some brown spots in one of the rocks, i do take a picture of it, i dont know what is that, but maybe you or somebody can tell me that, i wish it is not bad stuff or toxic, because that rock is a pretty one
What is the overall consistency or feel of that brown stuff? It almost looks like some sort of sponge, but I really don't know. I mention sponges because there appear to be pores or an actual osculum (the main opening of a sponge) in some areas. I had sponges of a very similar size and shape on some rocks in a tank that I had, but they were white in color. Another possibility is that it is some kind of bacterial slime. Have you noticed any bubbles in it? Does it come off easily if you shake the rock in the water? Do you know how quickly it has spread? Do you notice streamers or filaments around the spots when the rock is in the water, or do the spots appear to be relatively solid? If it is sponges, you are probably alright. But if it is bacteria you should probably remove the rock immediately and give it a freshwater soak to kill as many of the bacteria as possible, then set the rock out and allow it to dry completely before placing it back in your tank. Could you get a picture of the rock under water?

OP
OP
M

martinpaksy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its completely clean, hard and dry stuff, its like a part of the rock, but with another color, i wish its not iron, it cant be sponge because very very hard stuff

OP
OP
M

martinpaksy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its completely clean, hard and dry stuff, its like a part of the rock, but with another color, i wish its not iron, it cant be sponge because very very hard stuff
they are in already freshwater, im curing them, this is one of the rocks i found in the ocean 2 years ago

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are in already freshwater, im curing them, this is one of the rocks i found in the ocean 2 years ago
That's interesting- it looks soft in the picture. I honestly don't know what it could be. Are you noticing any discharge or any material coming off in the water? Is there any sediment on the bottom of your fresh water tank? If you rub your finger on it, does any material come off? Any odor? Perhaps you could break a bit of it off, get a better idea of its characteristics. I probably would not use that rock, but if you can't find anything that is obviously toxic or worrisome, perhaps you could give it a try. It is a nice piece of rock.

OP
OP
M

martinpaksy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, the water is absolutely clean, i had used vinegar before, after using, i noticed this on the rock, i can break them with my nails, they are brown in the inside as well

OP
OP
M

martinpaksy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm.... it is a judgement call. If nothing seems wrong, I guess you could try it.
big fat thank you for all the answers, I recently added them to a tank with 2 clownfish, i added the changed water of the big tank(70%) and new water is 30% so i managed to skip waiting too much to add the 2 clownfish, they was way too aggressive in the big tank, i will post some pictures here about the progress with that rocks and the clownfish, that rocks are shining, looks very decent, so i think everything should be fine, but we will see!

OP
OP
M

martinpaksy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go guys, i had take some pics about the overall system and the creatures in the tank, im using in the glass nex to the wave maker 1 piece of grape algae from the big tank I have to mention dont mind that tang, i dont want to keep him here for ever, but in the big tank lets say the others did not tolerate him, so o had to place him here for a while, i added some corals, not the hardest ones, im using an external skimmer, i dont know the name of it, i bought it for like 20$ from a random guy, but it works fine, by the looks of it everything is great, but i did not test the water parameters and i have a little bit of the green algae, maybe because the tank is fresh a bit, i dont really know but not too much so its fine at the moment
What do you think guys?
(i know grape algae is not the safest algae, thats why im using small amount and cut back fast but guess what, in this country you are so lucky when you find someone who selling macro algae!)

Attachments

• 51EF51FE-C1D6-4BD6-A332-83874136D426.jpeg
    51EF51FE-C1D6-4BD6-A332-83874136D426.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 28
  • 78A8EADC-111A-4B7C-9301-357F735B5625.jpeg
    78A8EADC-111A-4B7C-9301-357F735B5625.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 34
  • BA6B266D-E3E4-4EA5-BB91-EE65FC429CCD.jpeg
    BA6B266D-E3E4-4EA5-BB91-EE65FC429CCD.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 19
  • DCD83A96-BD3D-4E2C-A925-510F58F79695.jpeg
    DCD83A96-BD3D-4E2C-A925-510F58F79695.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 33
  • A73E20D9-80E8-4D14-B1D3-7F9922FA5FF4.jpeg
    A73E20D9-80E8-4D14-B1D3-7F9922FA5FF4.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 8528167A-8F88-4A14-97C1-5900053676FD.jpeg
    8528167A-8F88-4A14-97C1-5900053676FD.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 31
  • BA2FAE86-87FC-4888-AA19-CB08FC314672.jpeg
    BA2FAE86-87FC-4888-AA19-CB08FC314672.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 27

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back