Rocky Mountain Fish Filters is Bringing Disc Filters to Aquariums

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mechanical filtration is one of the most fundamental processes of purifying water whether it be for drinking purposes, for agriculture, or in our case for keeping aquarium clean and clear. In our reef tanks the function of mechanically cleaning aquarium water usually falls to trusty filter socks and more recently, automatic filter rolls have started…
Source

Continue reading...

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious, how do you install it?

In the outlet (return/manifold) from your sump or do you need to put it after or before your return pump?

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are out now...Price is painful. I ordered some for my sump this week. Only 4 inch version for sale from what I can tell. For the price I could have gotten another Red-sea Roller mat because I have 4x filter sock slots in my sump. Also don't forget these don't pull the nutrients out of the water like a filter Roller does.
Ordered 2x - 110 Micron and 2x 200 micron @ 99 dollars a pop....hmm...that number makes my head hurt.
I will write up a review on this site and hell maybe make a youtube video on them.

I hope they are quiet and don't clog to rapidly...easy to clean, etc. Can I throw them in the dishwasher? lol.

bugzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one. One of the issues i have noticed is the bottom cup attachment is too long for my cade 600. However if you dont have it on the filter cup and filter tends to float. Ideally the attachment would be 1/3 its size and the top filter needs to come out of the water more for air flow.

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one. One of the issues i have noticed is the bottom cup attachment is too long for my cade 600. However if you dont have it on the filter cup and filter tends to float. Ideally the attachment would be 1/3 its size and the top filter needs to come out of the water more for air flow.
I agree the top of filter needs to be longer and maybe the cup shorter...not only for that but also to allow for more water pressure to push it through. At this point the flow can easily outpace the filter and start going down the center bypassing it.
I am assuming the easier fix would be to have a 3d printed insert or another stubby cup designed which allows the filter to sit a couple inches higher.

I don't know if they did any beta testing with real life users. I would have happily given them real world feedback. I am still digging into the product and trying to understand all the variables. How much to tighten it or loosen it...This is very subjective and the device has no way of giving you feedback of how much pressure is correct or incorrect. The effects of the media cup on the bottom to flow...etc.

I have two of the 200 micron's running and two of the 110 microns showing up today.

Big things I am seeing so far....Lack of documentation and testing by the company. Youtube videos by the company would go a long long way. Real world examples....Cost is high at 100 when you can get a Filter roller like a Klir v2 for 230 dollars or a Redsea unit for about 300 hundreds. Now for the good news of the product. . Due to the modular design product has the ability for flexibility and could be easily upgraded. Customizations options will help the company out and also to make it more flexible for different applications.

Last edited:

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree the top of filter needs to be longer and maybe the cup shorter...not only for that but also to allow for more water pressure to push it through. At this point the flow can easily outpace the filter and start going down the center bypassing it.
I am assuming the easier fix would be to have a 3d printed insert or another stubby cup designed which allows the filter to sit a couple inches higher.

I don't know if they did any beta testing with real life users. I would have happily given them real world feedback. I am still digging into the product and trying to understand all the variables. How much to tighten it or loosen it...This is very subjective and the device has no way of giving you feedback of how much pressure is correct or incorrect. The effects of the media cup on the bottom to flow...etc.

I have two of the 200 micron's running and two of the 110 microns showing up today.

Big things I am seeing so far....Lack of documentation and testing by the company. Youtube videos by the company would go a long long way. Real world examples....Cost is high at 100 when you can get a Filter roller like a Klir v2 for 230 dollars or a Redsea unit for about 300 hundreds. Now for the good news of the product. . Due to the modular design product has the ability for flexibility and could be easily upgraded. Customizations options will help the company out and also to make it more flexible for different applications.
I messaged them over a year ago inquiring about Beta testing when I first heard of the product being developed. I got a canned answer brushing me off so that's unfortunate, it seems like a cool concept although they might have made it obsolete at the price point when you can buy a roller filter relatively cheaply (especially for people like you whose sumps require multiple socks).

The Red Sea Reef Mat really upped the filter roller game--I'm surprised other companies haven't adjusted their pricing to remain competitive by now.

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I messaged them over a year ago inquiring about Beta testing when I first heard of the product being developed. I got a canned answer brushing me off so that's unfortunate, it seems like a cool concept although they might have made it obsolete at the price point when you can buy a roller filter relatively cheaply (especially for people like you whose sumps require multiple socks).

The Red Sea Reef Mat really upped the filter roller game--I'm surprised other companies haven't adjusted their pricing to remain competitive by now.
I did a unboxing video and just my initial impressions on it.
I plan to do a full review soon....waiting for them to collect some junk out of the water.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you cut a band out of the middle of the cup then reglue the top and bottom back together to allow the filter to stick up above the top? Just an idea.

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you cut a band out of the middle of the cup then reglue the top and bottom back together to allow the filter to stick up above the top? Just an idea.
Yeah maybe but seems like a lot of work and the type of plastic I am not sure you wouldn’t lose integrity.
They released a video cleaning them on YouTube

Notice the water height on their sump.
IMG_0514.jpeg

Back