Rodactus mushrooms with a white centre

Owenphipps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my names Owen and I'm new to the reefing hobby, i have been heavily researching the marine world for the past 3 years and have been keeping fresh water for all my life with 2 ponds and 5 tanks to my name. I finally got my first saltwater tank about 2 months ago, its a small 55 litre tank which is about 10 gallons. My lps is growing and so are all of my soft corals apart from my large rodactus mushroom and its pup they shrivel up quite alot and come back out later, the large mushroom often gose white in the middle when it is trying to feed i assume thats because its got feeding tentacles out. Today it looks a little different with the mouth just being open with no feeding tentacles and i thought i would ask for some experienced opinions

OP
OP
Owenphipps

Owenphipps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure the light on them is not too strong? IME, they can be more sensitive to lighting and flow strength.

I have other mushrooms further up in the tank as well as some right next to it and they are multiplying so i don't think its that. However it has just occurred to me that there is a toadstool quite close to it could that be stinging the mushroom

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd post some pics of the mushroom. The toadstool could be using allelopathy as a defense as well. Some species of mushroom can tolerate more light and flow than others but bleaching is usually a sign of too much light/intensity.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back