RODI and Chloramines

Nobody077

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just got my RO drinking water unit and installed it, 320ppm tds at tap in, after flushing system for an hour i had 22ppm at drinking tap out. I checked my city's annual water reports and they list the use of Chloramine as primary disinfectant, do i need a special carbon stage? Stages are Sediment - Gac - Cto - RO - storage tank -Post Carbon , I also ran a Tee after RO to install a check valve for DI ,waiting on amazon to deliver DI cartridge and valves so no readings there yet. I have good water pressure and unit has a booster pump, got unit cheap on Ebay with the idea of upgrading stages as needed, just want to make sure I get the correct filters for my water.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I don't believe a typical carbon block will remove the chloramine.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably should invest in a test kit for chloramines. I believe BRS has one. They also have a carbon filter made especially to remove chloramines.

You should try and get a tds reading after the ro membrane. Not sure if that 22 reading has been tainted by stuff in your storage tank. With a 320 tap reading I would expect you to be below 10. My tap is over 400 and my tds after the ro membrane is 4.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I don't believe a typical carbon block will remove the chloramine.

A typical Carbon block will remove chloramines, the issue is they exhaust extremely quickly compared to carbon blocks dedicated to removing them. :)

OP
OP
Nobody077

Nobody077

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, will look into the upgraded filter, looks like I should install in the second position just behind the sediment filter replacing the current first carbon.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, will look into the upgraded filter, looks like I should install in the second position just behind the sediment filter replacing the current first carbon.

That is correct :)

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the difference in the 2 filters is:
Regular Carbon block filter is a granular type, fused into a block. Usually 10 micron 5 micron or 1 micron. You can find .5 ones if you look
The ChlorPlus uses a powdered form inside fused into a block. (powdered = more surface area) Usually a 1 micron or .5 micron

OP
OP
Nobody077

Nobody077

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So amazon just delivered the fittings and my DI filter. Did a waste calc and my unit auto flushes, starts at about 8:1 then after a few seconds drops to about 2.5:1. Tested with storage tank off, sampled water when flush ended and 2.5:1 ran for a few seconds, still 20-22ppm but after DI im at 0ppm. The stock filters may be on the low quality side, when i replace them I will get the chlorplus filter and a better RO. I only payed $60 for the unit shipped,and added a $20 refillable DI

Back