Rodi buddie water smells like chlorine

Picoflreefer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed a smell of chlorine in my ro water. It’s testing 0 tds. I’ve tested my tap water and it’s reading 180tds so I know it’s reading correctly. Anyone have this problem?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have chlorine test kits/strips that test both free and total chlorine. I check about every six months (when I remember) to see if carbon block still effective.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have chlorine test kits/strips that test both free and total chlorine. I check about every six months (when I remember) to see if carbon block still effective.
I do the same thing just to verify the carbon is working

OP
OP
Picoflreefer.

Picoflreefer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chlorine and more importantly Chloramines can travel through your membrane and DI resin without being removed. Many people have had this problem. Carbon is the only component of your RODI system that can successfully remove Chlorine and Chloramines. Carbon removes Chlorine with little trouble and even a small amount of carbon is able to remove a substantial amount of Chlorine. But Chloramines on the other hand is a different story. Standard and even high grade carbon can be rapidly depleted by Chloramines. Chlorine dissipates and evaporates from water quickly, Chloramines does not. So your best bet to prevent Chloramines from becoming a problem is to use Catalytic carbon. Bulk Reef Supply sells something called Chloramine buster carbon that also works well. So, 0 TDS doesn’t always mean safe water. You need to regularly change your carbon and use Catalytic carbon to prevent Chlorine and Chloramines from becoming a major issue for your corals.

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
test your ammonia. just had this problem with my RO buddy. if you've got chloramines it should show up as ammonia. it almost wiped out my tank!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 series generic carbon block from KoolerMax (proprietary fit for my unit) and I don't have any issues with the chloramine city water leaching through. I replace carbon usually between 6 months and a year for maybe 30-50 gallons/week usage.

If I had a BRS RO/DI unit I likely would purchase the Chloramine Carbon block - since I have chloramines. But also since I have no issues now - why go to the expense?

Storm Trooper Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chlorine and more importantly Chloramines can travel through your membrane and DI resin without being removed. Many people have had this problem. Carbon is the only component of your RODI system that can successfully remove Chlorine and Chloramines. Carbon removes Chlorine with little trouble and even a small amount of carbon is able to remove a substantial amount of Chlorine. But Chloramines on the other hand is a different story. Standard and even high grade carbon can be rapidly depleted by Chloramines. Chlorine dissipates and evaporates from water quickly, Chloramines does not. So your best bet to prevent Chloramines from becoming a problem is to use Catalytic carbon. Bulk Reef Supply sells something called Chloramine buster carbon that also works well. So, 0 TDS doesn’t always mean safe water. You need to regularly change your carbon and use Catalytic carbon to prevent Chlorine and Chloramines from becoming a major issue for your corals.
Chlorides (chlorine and similar) evaporates out of water. The rule of thumb is 2 hours per gallon in an open 5 gallon bucket with aeration (but not what you want to do with RODI, defeats the purpose and this also allows the H2O to absorb what is in the air)

Back