RODI help needed!

TheXpander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Have had my RODI water running now for around 30 minutes (I flushed the canisters first). I have a few issues though;
1 - there is a flow restrictor from the waste water already however far more water is exiting than waste, I thought this should be the other way round?

2 - Initially the waste water was reading 66ppm and the RODI was reading 12ppm, I was expecting it to come down but the RODI is now reading 88ppm and rising?!
The waste is measuring a steady 66.

Really not sure where I’ve gone wrong here? Does it have to run for hours before the level will come down?

thanks!!!!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Have had my RODI water running now for around 30 minutes (I flushed the canisters first). I have a few issues though;
1 - there is a flow restrictor from the waste water already however far more water is exiting than waste, I thought this should be the other way round?

2 - Initially the waste water was reading 66ppm and the RODI was reading 12ppm, I was expecting it to come down but the RODI is now reading 88ppm and rising?!
The waste is measuring a steady 66.

Really not sure where I’ve gone wrong here? Does it have to run for hours before the level will come down?

thanks!!!!
Youll want to figure out waste to product ratio first then modify your flow restrictor accordingly.

OP
OP
TheXpander

TheXpander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
So I don’t have the adjustable set up as in the link, I’ve attached pictures of what I have set up, the system is 75g/hour, the flow restrictor has 450 written on it, I’m worried now I have damaged the RO membrane (initial collection readings were 12, they shot up to 122 and are now down at 67). Is it possible I have damaged this as the collection is flowing much faster than the waste?
CC6BB8ED-79F5-4273-A0C6-0D27F5D57D20.jpeg
450C776E-4002-438C-B9FF-BD7FFF7F08CD.jpeg
558E86A8-E590-458D-8E87-88A610A4110A.jpeg

OP
OP
TheXpander

TheXpander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok......just figured this out.....I opened up the RO membrane housing just to check, and there is no membrane in there!!! They must have forgotten to put it in!!!

thanks for all your helP!!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!
Nice catch!
Id opt for something with clear housings if youre going to swap out systems.
Have a look at the spectrapure maxcap standard system.
It arrived at a perfect 4 to 1 ratio :)

OP
OP
TheXpander

TheXpander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!
Nice catch!
Id opt for something with clear housings if youre going to swap out systems.
Have a look at the spectrapure maxcap standard system.
It arrived at a perfect 4 to 1 ratio :)
Do you think the DI will need replacing now it’s been run without the membrane?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the DI will need replacing now it’s been run without the membrane?
Most likely. What tds were you getting out of
the DI?
Ive had 1ppm final stage DI go back to zero after removing the excess c02 from my RO so id run water through it at a 4:1 ratio for maybe 10 gallons and then collect the DI and test. If its still high just replace.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back