RODI marinedepot vs BRS vs spectrapure

iGotJokess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at 4 stage 75gal rodi between these 3. Any advantages in choosing one over the other? I know BRS has great customer service, but don’t know much about marine depot. I do see that marine depot gives 15% off replacement filters for life which seems beneficial. The spectrapure is also on marine depot and it’s 180gal/day. It’s my understanding that these higher systems lead to more frequent cartridge replacements. Could this be beneficial with 15% off for life? Is it also safe to assume that the stock BRS and marine depot brand units are pretty much the same?

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any of them would work fine honestly. I have a spectrapure unit but I use BRS replacement filters for it now. Spectrapure also offers lower GPD systems than that 180 on their websit. Unless you need to make a ton of water 180gpd is overkill. I make anywhere from 8 to 20 gallons at a time and my 90gpd unit with a booster pump is more than fast enough.

I would definitely check your source water for Chloramines before you purchase though. If you have chloramines you’re better off with a 5 stage with dual carbon blocks.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 4 stage value from Marine Depot. I got it because it was less than the BRS version, BRS was sold out anyway, and the 15% filter discount. While I've never had the other two for comparison, the Marine Depot one (branded Klean Water) is very good. I've purchased many things from them and it's a good site.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all just fine, so find your best deal between the three.

I will say to get an inline TDS meter no matter which one you choose. Knowing right away when your TDS starts to drift will keep you supplied with the best quality water. It will also save you money in the long run because you can get full use out of your cartridges...

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
according to someone who posted in the 14 page "brs acquires marine depot" thread brs will not be honoring marine depots 15% off deal

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread is over a year old

tikalize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer and have been using Spectrapure for many years. i run the Maxcap and Silicabuster DI cartridge's back to back and just go with any decent carbon block and sediment filters. Nothing against the other guys but Spectrapure only deal with water and have perfected it in my opinion.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer and have been using Spectrapure for many years. i run the Maxcap and Silicabuster DI cartridge's back to back and just go with any decent carbon block and sediment filters. Nothing against the other guys but Spectrapure only deal with water and have perfected it in my opinion.
Do their DI cartridges last longer? I typically only get about 60-80 product water from BRS resin, which others thought might be CO2. I'm interested in possibly trying them though.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back