RODI not pushing out waste water.

Almoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I get my 4 stage RODI filter to function correctly. I have a small booster pumping but it only pushes water out of the clear water hose and no waste. It’s not working correctly and I just hooked it up[emoji15]

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you share some pictures of the setup? A wire is probably crossed somewhere, water might be going somewhere it's not supposed to be.

Also, hello from MD :) I'm in Harford County, north of the city, up 95.

pwilliaml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean only product water is coming out, not waste water? Do you have a TDS meter on there as well? Is this a stock 75 GPD RO unit from bulk reef supply? You may have a clogged restrictor, damaged RO housing, bad membrane, ect. We need more details.

OP
OP
Almoe

Almoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d37709f570e0db2d9621b87dfc8dbebe.jpg

OP
OP
Almoe

Almoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean only product water is coming out, not waste water? Do you have a TDS meter on there as well? Is this a stock 75 GPD RO unit from bulk reef supply? You may have a clogged restrictor, damaged RO housing, bad membrane, ect. We need more details.

TDS meter is on order. I’ve had the filter for a year but couldn’t set up because of low pressure and debating its use.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaah okay, I think I see the problem. The black line on the left is where you want your product water to come out. So you'll want that in your blue jug. The blue line on the right is where you want your tap water to go in. The blue line on the top of the unit is where the waste water should come out. You'll want to put that line in the sink or down a drain.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can see....and not see...because I can't see where all the lines are going, but it looks like some of the lines are not connected correctly. The raw water line needs to go directly to the first canister on the right. The line coming out of the second canister (middle one) then goes to the pump and returns back up to the unit.

The line all the way to the left is your "good" water line, and that's what you want to collect. I don't see your waste line????

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a diagram of your unit.
Screenshot 2018-09-24 at 10.44.24 AM.png

The booster pump gets "spliced" into that line coming out of the middle canister and going up to the membrane.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Almoe

Almoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG. I thought I knew exactly where everything went when I hooked this baby up[emoji849]. Ding dong!

This filter has been in and out of its box 10Xs in the last year but not plugged in so I really bombed.

I really appreciate your comments, suggestions and especially the knowledge in this group[emoji1426][emoji1351]‍[emoji436] [emoji226].

Thx guys

pwilliaml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have it up and running? Looks like redfishbluefish beat me to the punch, but he's right. Water goes into your sediment filter (far right canister), then carbon filter (middle canister), then down to the inlet of your pump, from outlet of pump up to the membrane housing which has a T on it going to a pressure gage to show you your membrane inlet pressure (hopefully between 50 and 80 psig). There are two outlets on your membrane housing, the one off center one should be product water which is where you'll want your TDS meter and then that goes to your DI resin canister. I would put a T in this line as well with a valve to stop water from going into the DI resin canister and a line with a valve on it going to your sink drain as you'll want to get rid of the first 5 to 10 minutes of product water as it's TDS will be higher as the membrane balances out. Once TDS comes down, you open the valve to the DI resin canister and close the drain to the sink. The centered line on the membrane housing is the waste water and it should go through a restrictor valve / flushing valve which I didn't see on your unit, that you will need for proper operation and then to the sink drain. You should open the waste bypass for a minute or two whenever you start up the unit to flush membrane and honestly should flush it for about 30 second to a minute every hour it's running. There are restrictors that have a built in bypass valve, or even some electric ones, or some that have a restrictor with a T before and after it with a valve between to bypass the restrictor and flush the membrane. Check out page 6 of Bradley Keck's thread about issues we just help him with. Lots of good pictures of his setup. His is a 6 stage unit though, so he has 2 carbon canisters and 2 DI resin canisters, so slightly different connections. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/h...my-di-resin-budget.451186/page-6#post-5147582
Let me know if you need any more help. I didn't see an auto shut off valve in your system either so you have to manually shut it off and close your sink valve or it will run forever, even with the pump off.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back