Rodi questions

Ryan Kindle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been reading a lot on here, and keep coming across how important rodi water is. I looked up the system abd its pretty impressive what some have set up. Now I live in a double wide, and have no idea where or if im capable of setting this up, and whats the best route if I cant when it comes to adding water?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been reading a lot on here, and keep coming across how important rodi water is. I looked up the system abd its pretty impressive what some have set up. Now I live in a double wide, and have no idea where or if im capable of setting this up, and whats the best route if I cant when it comes to adding water?
Rodi can be setup just about anywhere. Under a sink, in the laundry room or even used when hooked up to a garden hose.

If for some reason you cannot set one up, there is always the LFS for water or using some other kind of purified water. But as long as you have a spigot outside and a hose, it can be done. Just not as effciently as a properly setup one.

So lets start here.

Do you have room under your kitchen sink?
Or do you have a space in the laundry room to mount it to a wall or set it on a shelf?

OP
OP
R

Ryan Kindle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres maybe a cabinets worth of space under kitchen sink, then laundry area is pretty narrow and packed tight. Maybe I totally dont understand completly how the system works? Some Images online seem complex

OP
OP
R

Ryan Kindle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I may have overwhelmed myself a bit and overthought this. This is my first attempt at my own saltwater tank and Im learning new things quickly everytime I think im almost set lol. Appreciate the help. And open to any other ideas/opinions also!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres maybe a cabinets worth of space under kitchen sink, then laundry area is pretty narrow and packed tight. Maybe I totally dont understand completly how the system works? Some Images online seem complex
Super simple.

RODI is hooked to a water source.
Waters run through all of the filtration
Waste water will come out of one tube and clean water out of the other.
You just let waste water go down drain, into container to water plants, whatever. You do not use this in your tank. It is all the nasties we dont want in the tank.
The "product water" (clean water) tube will go into your storage container or whatever you plant o store the "product water" in.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I may have overwhelmed myself a bit and overthought this. This is my first attempt at my own saltwater tank and Im learning new things quickly everytime I think im almost set lol. Appreciate the help. And open to any other ideas/opinions also!
Really just depends on space you have, how much water you plan to make for water changes and how much water you will to top off the tank.

Give us a little info on your tank plans. From there, we can look at some options that may work best for ya.

OP
OP
R

Ryan Kindle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really just depends on space you have, how much water you plan to make for water changes and how much water you will to top off the tank.

Give us a little info on your tank plans. From there, we can look at some options that may work best for ya.
Its a 75gallon tank, hoping to do some soft corals and fish. Its been up for about two months and everythings been pretty good. In about another month may add another fish or 2 if things are going well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220128-004433_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220128-004433_Gallery.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 20

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 75gallon tank, hoping to do some soft corals and fish. Its been up for about two months and everythings been pretty good. In about another month may add another fish or 2 if things are going well.
OK cool.

If it was me, I would look for a 100gpd system. Depending on your water pressure in the house, you may need a bootser to maximize the RODI system, but not always needed. As long as you have 50 psi, you can make water just fine. Just will have a little more waste water. This will allow you to be able to make enough water in a day if anything happens where a massive water change is needed and will allow you to easily make 20 gallons of rodi to keep around for top offs, water changes, etc.

a good 100gpd unit can be had from numerous vendors and most are close to the same quality. I would suggest getting a standard unit that take 10" filters. This makes overall cost to replace them much cheaper. It also makes it easier to find filter is one place is out of stock.

You can always got larger, if you want. But a 100gpd can be upgraded later to 200gpd with a water saver kit.

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good! some people set up really complex systems, but what I do is just hook my system up to the sink and set it on the counter when I am using it, and when I am done I stuff it back in the cabinets, nothing special and takes up very little space.

Back