RODI system help

BiKes100g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set up my system and the TDS monitor wasn’t working and ended up needing a new battery. Before I got the battery I of coarse started making water ... with the flush valve open ... about 60 gallons worth. So today I get the tds up and running and my in line tds is 130ppm and after the DI it was coming out at 2. The number at my RO is 56 to 59. First question is did I ruin my RO membrane ? Next question, is 2 tds with 130 coming in normal? Should I toss the water that’s 2tds ? And what should I do to lower the last 2?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What unit do you have? A good membrane has 98% rejection. What's your incoming TDS on the raw water. I'm almost wondering if you didn't collect the waste water, thinking it was the good water. Typically there is a ratio of 1:3 of good to waste water.

Your DI is spent......need to replace. But first we need to figure out why your TDS is so high.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you read the 2 TDS? Initial water will always read higher. Check it after it’s ran for 2.5-5 minutes. Basically you need to purge lines Before making water.

FWIW, I only use ZERO tds water. I would water the plants outside with that 2tds water. You never know what that mineral is that got through.

OP
OP
BiKes100g

BiKes100g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What unit do you have? A good membrane has 98% rejection. What's your incoming TDS on the raw water. I'm almost wondering if you didn't collect the waste water, thinking it was the good water. Typically there is a ratio of 1:3 of good to waste water.

Your DI is spent......need to replace. But first we need to figure out why your TDS is so high.
I have a 4 Stage Aqua FX Barracuda that has a dual TDS meter. The Raw water side is coming in at 130. I cut and installed the tds at both the incoming and outbound sides. The other meter was already installed coming out of the RO. My DI is already a red color. I probably made 100+ gallons already would it be bad already?

OP
OP
BiKes100g

BiKes100g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you read the 2 TDS? Initial water will always read higher. Check it after it’s ran for 2.5-5 minutes. Basically you need to purge lines Before making water.

FWIW, I only use ZERO tds water. I would water the plants outside with that 2tds water. You never know what

FWIW, I only use ZERO tds water. I would water the plants outside with that 2tds water. You never know what that mineral is that got through.

OP
OP
BiKes100g

BiKes100g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’m going to replace the DI to start. I took out the DI and tested the tds after the RO before the DI and it was reading 4. Now when I put the DI back in and run it the reading is staying at 4 and the after DI is reading 3. So possibly my DI is bad? Or should I buy the pump first?

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’m going to replace the DI to start. I took out the DI and tested the tds after the RO before the DI and it was reading 4. Now when I put the DI back in and run it the reading is staying at 4 and the after DI is reading 3. So possibly my DI is bad? Or should I buy the pump first?
You should certainly be getting 0 after the DI.
Get the color changing DI, which is what Aqua sells, in order to be very sure. I run 2 stages of DI. When I read 1 after stage one of DI, I swap it with stage 2 and refill stage 1 and repeat the process. Having the pump will just clear more out at the membrane and save your usage on the DI. Even at 38-40 the DI should knock that out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back