Rodi temperature needed?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water going through the RODi unit is like 61 degrees. Is that bad? Would that temper the performance? And if so what should i do?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No its not bad, but most filter/membrane ratings are given using 70F incoming water.

Cold water slows down performance, but actually increases rejection. Your RO membrane will work better, but slower due to the lower water temp.

My incoming water is right around that same temp too. In winter months my incoming water temp drops down into the 50's. Its in the low 60's now... later in the summer, it will be in the 70's.

In the winter, I often get 0 TDS out of the RO membrane, before the DI stage, but output slows down. It takes longer to fill my mixing station and ATO reservoirs during the winter.
During the summer months, I get 1-2 TDS out of the RO membrane, but my output increases.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Membranes are factory spec'ed at 25C or 77F. Meaning, that their gpd output is tested at 77F @ a specified pressure. I suspect you are asking about residential scale membranes... Filmtec brand membranes use a test pressure of 50 psi. Nearly every other brand uses 60 or 65 psi.

If you have colder temperatures and or lower pressures, your gpd output will be reduced. For a number of reasons it is typically not practical to raise the incoming water temperature... but you can compensate for you temperature by using a tighter (less flow) flow restrictor and/or raising the water pressure with a booster pump.

How much will your particular pressure / temperature affect the membrane performance? Input your conditions here to find out: https://www.buckeyehydro.com/calculator/

Russ

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back