Rodi waste - can I connect to my house waste pipe? (pic)

rob s.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its condensation on the inside of the waste pipe that builds when that studder valve (what you called the vent) opens and sucks air in so your waste pipe drains properly. If no air is introduced into the waste pipe it acts as, and is actually a closed loop which doesn't allow for smooth and proper draining. It would stop if the joint were glued but it really is fine just the way it is.

rob s.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm a plumber...i can almost guarantee its just condensation from the pipe. If its splashing up then you have a partial clog in your waste pipe. when water drains in a pipe it doesn't just drop in, it clings to the side wall of the pipe and "swirls" down the pipe wall. If its got water in it and there is no P-trap there its clogged. If there is a p-trap or j bend some people call them then seeing that water is normal but regardless it should never splash....

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i'm a plumber...i can almost guarantee its just condensation from the pipe. If its splashing up then you have a partial clog in your waste pipe. when water drains in a pipe it doesn't just drop in, it clings to the side wall of the pipe and "swirls" down the pipe wall. If its got water in it and there is no P-trap there its clogged. If there is a p-trap or j bend some people call them then seeing that water is normal but regardless it should never splash....
Thanks, very helpful. So I'm no plumber but let me describe it the best I can. Before I placed it in there, the was no leaking. Once I placed it in there and I run the rodi flush, the flush tends to throw a ton of water out at once vs running the system. I have pretty good water pressure (75+psi) so it really comes out. Now I've only noticed the condensation come out after I do a rodi flush. When I take the top off and watch all of it that's what I'm seeing. I could try and snap a pic when it's all going. I did notice yesterday with the cap off, when I flushed the toilet that water did come into the horizontal tube before going back down the drain, but I would suspect that's normal and has been like that since I bought the house.

Millwright

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is it’s splashing.
I would guess the water is hitting the opposite wall from where you tapped in and it is splashing.
You could always pull the cheater vent off and thread a 90 onto your fitting. then put the cheater vent back on.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would guess the water is hitting the opposite wall from where you tapped in and it is splashing.
You could always pull the cheater vent off and thread a 90 onto your fitting. then put the cheater vent back on.
OK perfect, I was thinking I could attach something on the inside to aim it down

rob s.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
of so the water is coming out under pressure? Then yes its splashing against the opposite side wall for sure. I thought is was a gravity drain.... My apologies, i guess i should have read it more closely......Millwright is correct. Just 90 it down so it doesn't hit the opposite side.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pull the cap off.
Wrap a turn or two of pipe thread tape on the riser and reinstall the cap.
This will seal it but not affix the cap.
Solving the issue.
The more stuff you fill the vent tube with will also prevent airflow.
This could cause unwanted noise or whistling or other venting issue due to reduced air flow.

Or buy a coupling and piece of pipe and raise the vent a few more inched above the tap.

Oh this information provided by an ELECTRICIAN by the way. lol

rob s.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pull the cap off.
Wrap a turn or two of pipe thread tape on the riser and reinstall the cap.
This will seal it but not affix the cap.
Solving the issue.
The more stuff you fill the vent tube with will also prevent airflow.
This could cause unwanted noise or whistling or other venting issue due to reduced air flow.

Or buy a coupling and piece of pipe and raise the vent a few more inched above the tap.

Oh this information provided by an ELECTRICIAN by the way. lol
Sparky haha good info

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 61 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back