RODI water station? What is working for you?

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of you have responded to my post of when it makes sense to make your own water. I think I am pretty convinced that I need to take the plunge. From your help and some research, I do know I need to get some more info from my local water company but I do know I have chloramine as the sanitizer in my water. I also know they are running an RO system for processing. So my RO/DI system needs to be able to process the chloramine at best.

So I need to design a water station. I have seen simple stuff of RO/DI and a trash can and maybe a pump/heater to full on automated stuff. Where is the middle ground, what is the best place to get store tanks and I need a compact design, so I am thinking a stacked tank system.

What are you all doing? Thanks in advance for you help and input.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5318FCCB-8EE1-4A39-9BC3-FA0F88095BFA.jpeg
01296E02-08D3-4A27-8F7A-6780A1741D77.jpeg

Here is my stack water change station. I used a brs unit with universal carbon blocks but I don’t have chloramines in my tap water. The ro/di unit is their 4 stage with added duel DI stage.
The top tank is a 55gallon that holds my incoming Ro/di. I use gravity and ball valves to fill the 20 gallon brute trash can below. The ball valves are set up to recirculate the water inside the trash can. Then another ball valve can be turned to send water to the fish tank.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This article and following threads offers allot thoughts and options for you.

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t speak to the mixing station as I simple use 5 gallon buckets because I have a small tank.

as far as the RODI system. The BRS 5 stage will take care of the chloramine and make 0 TDS water. We have very high TDS and highest allowable amount of chloramine in the water here and my BRS 5 stage makes perfect water.

I’d suggest getting their system that comes with the back flush valve, gage and TDS meter already installed. You could save a small amount of money by the valve, gage and meter off of Amazon though. i Think maybe $20.00 savings doing it that way. But, you’ll get everything you need with the BRS system to set it up, if you get it with the “up grades” you can literally be up and running in as little as 10-15 minutes depending on how you want to use the system.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As sophisticated as most of my setup is ATO is the least but it works. 200g Tank is along back outside wall/window and ATO gets fed in. Outside is a BRS 5 stage + DI that fills up a 44g Brute food grade garbage can with a mechanical float valve on the RODI input. I have a Tunze 3155 ATO with control and sensors in sump and with an added length of wire the pump sits outside in the Brute. One of these days I will build something better that can also do auto water changes. Mine needs to be outside so first step is probably getting a small plastic shed to hold nicer tanks and the RODI.

OP
OP
Nanorock1970

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5318FCCB-8EE1-4A39-9BC3-FA0F88095BFA.jpeg
01296E02-08D3-4A27-8F7A-6780A1741D77.jpeg

Here is my stack water change station. I used a brs unit with universal carbon blocks but I don’t have chloramines in my tap water. The ro/di unit is their 4 stage with added duel DI stage.
The top tank is a 55gallon that holds my incoming Ro/di. I use gravity and ball valves to fill the 20 gallon brute trash can below. The ball valves are set up to recirculate the water inside the trash can. Then another ball valve can be turned to send water to the fish tank.
nowglaze it.....Donuts or windows? Nice setup, Thanks for your input. Also fellow ADP (saw your mickey ears on your fresh water storage.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How much water do you need? I need 10gal a week but want 50gal on deck. Heres my plan:
BRS 5 stage to take care of chloramine.
BRS upgrade with TDS meter
Float shut off
50gal Brute
20gal Brute
5gal bucket
Cheap heater
Cheap powerhead

RODI mounted undersink to 50gal Brute in bathtub with float cutoff.

20gal Brute sitting beside it.

Add 5gal of RODI to 20gal Brute at a time and add appropriate amount of salt for each 5gal pour.

Heat and mix with powerhead for 24hr

Grab buckets when I need them

This is a simple and cheap setup for someone that doesnt use much water and has a back strong enough to lug around 30# of water (you have serious issues if you can not). To avoid splashing, put a towel near the Brute. After filling set it on the towel for a second. Run it to your tank and set it on another towel until you are ready to pour.

There is no need for all that fancy plumbing unless you want to pimp it out. I perfer the minimalist approach as in my 150gal system I only change out about 7gal every other week and use 5gal topoff EOW. Some people do ridiculous amounts of water changes unnecessarily. If they need that much they are messing with the tank too much. A skimmer and kalk stirrer is all one needs. Its marketing hype to lead you to think otherwise to get you to part with your money. Source? My 11y/o mixed reef

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back