RODI Water Storage

warpdrvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm installing an RODI system this next weekend. I've seen pics of people using Brute trash cans for storage. My question is: Do I need to prep the can in any special way? Wash it out with something special? Just start putting the water in it? Total noob here so all answers welcomed. Thanks in advance

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4C41DACB-98E6-4649-8DBC-0E89F70B859A.jpeg

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to drill holes for the pump/powerhead and heater cords so you can close the lid properly. Also you can add a float valve or switch so you can automate the filling process.

OP
OP
W

warpdrvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to drill holes for the pump/powerhead and heater cords so you can close the lid properly. Also you can add a float valve or switch so you can automate the filling process.
i had already thought about a float system, but never thought about heater/circulation cords. Great idea. I've only been a ember of this community a week or so, but I've gotten so many good ideas from y'all

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got a farm store near by, I would suggest a Norwesco or something similar tank. I have a 65 gallon tank in my garage so I know I always have plenty of water on hand.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got a farm store near by, I would suggest a Norwesco or something similar tank. I have a 65 gallon tank in my garage so I know I always have plenty of water on hand.

I have a brute can right now and I think i might be ready for a Norwesco! haha I like having the convenience of being able to roll the brute can around, but I would be nice to have a large supply on hand at all times!

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That setup looks awesome. Is there a place to get the schematic of the plumbing and a list of parts?
Not that I’m aware of. I found a similar looking build and just used the photo to recreate. Choose a pump and size pvc to fit.

If you need more pics or description I’d be glad to help.

Zenquatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to install a reservoir tank but have a few questions on how to get the water to my aquariums from there. I would be installing and storing this in my basement. I was wanting to run the small 1/4" tubing from my reservoir up to one of my tanks on the first floor, where I can open a ball valve and fill my freshwater tank during water changes or for top offs. Could I hook another booster pump up in the line between the reservoir tank and aquarium to pump water from the reservoir to the tank? Being the diameter is so small and its probably going up 15 total feet vertically to the first floor I would think the pump would be capable of doing that, maybe not...

I could then use the auto pressure shutoff to turn the pump on and off by opening the valve to fill the aquarium. At least this was my thought.. Would this work or is my thinking off on this?

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to install a reservoir tank but have a few questions on how to get the water to my aquariums from there. I would be installing and storing this in my basement. I was wanting to run the small 1/4" tubing from my reservoir up to one of my tanks on the first floor, where I can open a ball valve and fill my freshwater tank during water changes or for top offs. Could I hook another booster pump up in the line between the reservoir tank and aquarium to pump water from the reservoir to the tank? Being the diameter is so small and its probably going up 15 total feet vertically to the first floor I would think the pump would be capable of doing that, maybe not...

I could then use the auto pressure shutoff to turn the pump on and off by opening the valve to fill the aquarium. At least this was my thought.. Would this work or is my thinking off on this?
1/4 is so small, it would go faster running up and down the stairs with water cupped in your hands.. lol.

I'm not sure if you're talking about a reservoir for saltwater or RODI.
If you're looking for a supply of RODI up from the basement, easiest way is to snake a rodi line up to a resevoir upstairs near the tank with an auto shut off for the rodi filter. Typical residential water pressure usually has no issue lifting even to third floor with no pumps.

If you're talking a saltwater resevoir to make water changes easier, I'd def go with a thicker hose... at least 3/4". A hole in the floor is a hole in the floor. I'm sure your ball valve idea would work, but also consider any of the many models of remote outlet. Just hold your hose and press the button, when full, press again.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back