RODI water

glooper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I plan to set up my tank this weekend or early next week and I am a little nervous about the water.

Would it be worth it this early on to buy and RODI system? If so is there one that everyone recommends?

My other option is to get pre mixed saltwater from my LFS at $1 per gallon. If I get water from them what would be the best way to transport the water?

I have a 40 gallon tank. What would be the recommended amount of water to get and to store at home?

Thank you in advance.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a rodi system. My 1st was from Amazon,
LiquaGen - 4 Stage Reverse Osmosis and Deionization (RO/DI) Portable Space Saver Water Purification System - 50 GPD | Water Filtration System for Aquarium Filter Processes | Fish Tank Filter

then got 1 from bulkreefsupply.com.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Defiantly go with an RODI unit now! It will be worth every penny. You don't have to spend a fortune, but get something decent. I just have an Aquaticlife RO Buddie, 50 gal a day, pretty inexpensive to buy. But I only need about 20 gal a week.

OP
OP
G

glooper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Defiantly go with an RODI unit now! It will be worth every penny. You don't have to spend a fortune, but get something decent. I just have an Aquaticlife RO Buddie, 50 gal a day, pretty inexpensive to buy. But I only need about 20 gal a week.
Is this the one you have? Also how often do you have to replace the cartridges?

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right off the bat I knew I would have a larger aquarium eventually so I picked up a used brs model, 6 stage dual di resins 150g per day. I replaced everything except the membranes. Its been smooth sailing. It came with two brute trash cans to hold the water. It was like 125$ used new this would have cost me 500+.

You can look threw your local CL/fb marketplace for one. Anything bulk reef supply brand is going to be decent but if it looks old I'd just stear clear of it.

Alot of people will use the brute trash cans for water storage one rodi and one for mixing salt. Some people like the ones with wheels for water changes. There cheap and do the job.

I don't have experience with the smaller units. double check that it has color changing DI resin as its very helpfull. Another good inexpensive tool that everybody should have is a tds tester there like 10 bucks. Doesn't have to be fancy.

OP
OP
G

glooper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This ones good but like I said you'll need a tds tester. And you should have replacement di resin on hand.
great, i will order this one plus the tds tester. and I should be okay with just using a 55 gallon brute container for storage?

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great, i will order this one plus the tds tester. and I should be okay with just using a 55 gallon brute container for storage?
Yes just think threw the process of changing water and topping off the tank with freshwater. It will require multiple buckets/bins.

OP
OP
G

glooper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just think threw the process of changing water and topping off the tank with freshwater. It will require multiple buckets/bins.
So It would probably be best to have 2 bins? 1 for saltwater and one for fresh RODI water?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Get an inline tds meter. Also consider making a flush bypass as this can save you DI resin

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So It would probably be best to have 2 bins? 1 for saltwater and one for fresh RODI water?
Yea it makes things easy this is my current setup. I will be upgrading to some big poly tanks when my budget warrants it. Note the float switch and spigot to make things easy. Also avoids water overfill and puddle on the floor.
20220223_194806.jpg

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you get a good seal with a hole at the bottom of those brute containers? I’ve always worried about the curved cylinder and it leaking so just rely on pumps vs gravity.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the one you have? Also how often do you have to replace the cartridges?

Yes, that's what I have. I replace the sediment and carbon every 6 months or so (probably could go longer) and the resin tells you when it's used up. Just get bulk resin and refill yourself. I'm going on 2 years on the membrane, and still getting 0 TDS
between the membrane and resin.

Be aware that the sediment and carbon cartridges are not standard, though. You have to use Aquaticlife's cartridges. The Membrane is standard though. And it's pretty slow making water, especially now when the incoming water is preyyy cold.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good advice already.

Continue to do your research including research on your source water. The best advice anyone can give you is to buy based off your source parameters, depending on the quality of your tap water you will need additional or less filtration.

This thread below can help provide you with further guidance for selecting the right unit for your needs.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you get a good seal with a hole at the bottom of those brute containers? I’ve always worried about the curved cylinder and it leaking so just rely on pumps vs gravity.
Just a standard bulk head i have a gasket on each end though. Never had a problem, the plastic just conforms to the shape of the bulk head.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These two things are what that system doesn't have good recommendations.

The inline tds meter lets you know what is going in and out of the DI resin and is way more convenient. The bypass means that when the ro unit is being flushed and or first turned on, all of the high TDS water that exits when the rodi unit first turns on does not go to the DI resin and instead goes to the drain

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inline tds meter lets you know what is going in and out of the DI resin and is way more convenient. The bypass means that when the ro unit is being flushed and or first turned on, all of the high TDS water that exits when the rodi unit first turns on does not go to the DI resin and instead goes to the drain

You also want the flush for installing new carbon blocks. Carbon sediment/fines are a quick easy way to ruin/clog an RO membrane and reduce efficiency of your unit.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back