RODI water???

Luisn17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Wondering if everyone uses RODI water for water changes? Tap water? Or some sort of filtered water but not a full 6-7 steps like in a reef tank. Was thinking about buying a 2-3 stage filter from Home Depot, a whole home systems, just for the tank. A sediment followed by it one or two carbon filter.

Any thoughts??

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would never use tap water for a saltwater tank, especially a reef tank. I used a 4 stage rodi for years and fairly recently added a few extra stages, so now I guess my rodi is technically 6 stages.
IMO you should get a rodi that has a ro membrane and di stage along with sediment and carbon.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never made saltwater from tap personally but I know some people that have better tap water then what a RO can do for me. I suggest testing your tds and go from there

OP
OP
Luisn17

Luisn17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I asked because I will be setting up a 375 gallon FOWLR tank and wanted to speed up the water creation process. I do own a 7 step bulk reef supply 150gpd system. I had a reef system but now just have a FOWLR, and since water quality is not that important, figured I could get away with just carbon and sediment filtering.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I asked because I will be setting up a 375 gallon FOWLR tank and wanted to speed up the water creation process. I do own a 7 step bulk reef supply 150gpd system. I had a reef system but now just have a FOWLR, and since water quality is not that important, figured I could get away with just carbon and sediment filtering.

If you only have fish and no inverts, the main thing to watch imo is phosphates from the tap water. However, tap water can vary from good, to ok, to questionable for human health lol. I'd check your cities water report.

If you don't want to wait, you can use the waste water from the RODI to fill it up on the first run. That is just water that went through the sediment and carbon filters.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Wondering if everyone uses RODI water for water changes? Tap water? Or some sort of filtered water but not a full 6-7 steps like in a reef tank. Was thinking about buying a 2-3 stage filter from Home Depot, a whole home systems, just for the tank. A sediment followed by it one or two carbon filter.

Any thoughts??
I always recommend Watts zero waste water RO system. Also adding a Deionization
20210307_130017.jpg
Filter

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest concern is having excessive silicates leading to diatoms. Or phosphates as mentioned earlier that could lead to unwanted algae. Other than that I don’t believe that it will have a direct negative effect on your fish.
Would still recommend using RODI water.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI, is definately better than any other option. You can be self assured its the best possible for your reef, and its always available to make more when you want or need.

The goal is 0 TDS, so a 4 stage works just a well as a 7 stage in that regard, you cant get better than 0 TDS

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly advise RODI water.

There are a multitude of reasons:

As you top off your tank, anything in your top off water will accumulate and concentrate in your tank.

Tap water often has significant levels of copper and copper is lethal to most marine invertebrates like your clean up crew. Also there are other elements that occur that can be a problem like lead, arsenic and so on but they are more rare.

Tap water often has contaminants. My tap water has significant amounts of nitrates and phosphates.

Tap water often has other contaminants like pesticides and even drugs. These are complex molecules and are very difficult to detect.

An RODI system will remove these and usually to a low enough level that they will never be a problem. Given the cost of reef aquariums, the equipment, your time, and your livestock, it would seem that not using RODI would be a false economy.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would at least run a sediment + a carbon + a ro membrane. especially since you already have a 150 gpd ro filter. whats your tds after just ro.?..if its still low and your trying to save money dont run it thru the di

whats your tds out of the tap, and after the ro?

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"If you don't want to wait, you can use the waste water from the RODI to fill it up on the first run. That is just water that went through the sediment and carbon filters."

This is not a good way to think about this. "Waste water," better known as "concentrate" is water that has gone through the sediment and carbon prefilters, AND has had about 25% of the pure H2O pulled out of it - so most of the contaminants (minus, most importantly, the chlorine) present in the feedwater are present in higher concentrations in the concentrate.

Russ

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back