A unique Reefer 300XL build (Remote sump)

dlaird76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an account with a wholesaler here in the UK as we have an aquatic department at the garden centre. Mostly outdoor stuff for now but would love to have indoor sometime soon.
Well that's very handy indeed. Looking forward to seeing your aquscape.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's very handy indeed. Looking forward to seeing your aquscape.
Going for a floating reef but as much as I like constructing things I really struggle to be happy with any aquascape to be honest. Always think it could be better.

dlaird76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know what you mean. Put all this thought and effort into making it look artistic and interesting only for it to be totally covered in corals. As long as its good for coral placement and their requirements that's all that should really matter but we are a fussy bunch us reefers!!!!!

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know what you mean. Put all this thought and effort into making it look artistic and interesting only for it to be totally covered in corals. As long as its good for coral placement and their requirements that's all that should really matter but we are a fussy bunch us reefers!!!!!
I totally agree with you. It is the same in the horticultural industry. Those with the knowledge of growth rates of certain plants and trees can plan for the future but the new gardeners want instant impact and full pots and borders.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my rock finally arrived! Progress pictures below of my scape.

IMG_9551.JPG

IMG_9553.JPG

IMG_9568.JPG

IMG_9577.JPG

IMG_9581.JPG

Super glue and activator process started.

IMG_9583.JPG

IMG_9584.JPG

Marco grey mortar application started

IMG_9585.JPG

IMG_9590.JPG

IMG_9593.JPG

Decided to mount the second large piece under the first instead of on top of it.

IMG_9595.JPG

Final top piece going on not only as I like the look of it but to help with ballast for the huge overhang.

IMG_9602.JPG

Getting the mortar into all the cracks from all direction to help get the best possible bond. Lifting this beast into the tank is going to be stressful! Lucky for me I have some amazing staff members here to help me with it.

IMG_9608.JPG

Final stage complete!

IMG_9614.JPG

Now bathing with some nice fresh salt water and some MB7.

Last edited:

dlaird76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the look of the marco shelf rock. Seeing it sitting in that vat makes it look huuuuge. What length is the complete piece?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefRondo

This is a very impressive build. Well planned and very clean. Impressive!

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely forgot to post a few pics of the room in general since adding some shelves for dry goods and got my frag saw on a fold-down shelf.
IMG_9625.JPG

IMG_9626.JPG

Still need a third light over the frag tank but as I am running 2 Gen 4 Radion XR30 pros I either have to wait till I can find a second-hand third one or order 3 Gen 5's. I am intrigued by the new Neptune Sky too though.

dlaird76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely forgot to post a few pics of the room in general since adding some shelves for dry goods and got my frag saw on a fold-down shelf.
IMG_9625.JPG

IMG_9626.JPG

Still need a third light over the frag tank but as I am running 2 Gen 4 Radion XR30 pros I either have to wait till I can find a second-hand third one or order 3 Gen 5's. I am intrigued by the new Neptune Sky too though.
Wow that is very impressive. Nice clean and tidy lines also

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a home office? Seems pretty involved to be something you'd set up at work...

dlaird76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks buddy. We are very close in terms of the world by the way. I’m on the west coast in Troon.

Thanks buddy. We are very close in terms of the world by the way. I’m on the west coast in Troon.
That's not a million miles away from me. Was working over in that area a few weeks ago. Chemring Explosives. Between Irvine & Kilwinning

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%

Back