Rookie plumbing question: Herbie standpipes

Hoosier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Searching around, I haven't found a direct answer to this question. I've got a tank with an internal overflow box, drilled with three holes in the bottom of the tank.

Am I supposed to glue the standpipes of a herbie overflow into the bulkhead? I think the answer is no, since I think that even if there was water leakage between the standpipe and bulkhead, it would just end up draining to where the water is supposed to drain anyway. And if the standpipes were glued in, it would be nigh on impossible to remove them if ever needed for maintenance purposes, though I'm not sure that would ever be needed.

Thanks,

Hoosier

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if you want to be able to clean it easily. On my frag tank which I drilled I did end up though because I attached a threaded barb to it to convert to vinyl.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back