Rooted Algae Removal

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had rooted algae, red type, fit sometime now. Yesterday I removed everything from the DT, took peroxide3% wiped down the tank. I took a syringe and basted the algae along bottom seal. The rock is Tonga branch so I removed most of the coral and poured peroxide over the rocks, scraped everything I could with a scalpel including 31 bumblebee snails, that was a little tough and the trochius snail shells. It took all day but it’s a start. It’s a 34g display, after it was done it was a 6.5 g water change. I also cleaned the skimmer. As the pics show, that algae turned orange but it’s still rooted. What’s my best bet of eradicating it? I use small amounts of KZ products, backing off for now. I skim wet and use KZ carbon passively in a bag, mesh sock, 4g water changes per week. I have high end tenuis and LPS so I’m leary of using chems.
FD51EBDB-056F-47DC-A5E1-6899BC659BF6.jpeg
5D067338-ED9D-42DE-A780-205E6F83E37C.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The parts that have turned orange are likely dead and will fall off shortly. The holdfasts may not be dead and may be failry protected depending on if they're inside small holes or not. Persoanlly I would just get a tuxedo urchin and sally lightfoot crabs to deal with it.

OP
OP
DHill6

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The parts that have turned orange are likely dead and will fall off shortly. The holdfasts may not be dead and may be failry protected depending on if they're inside small holes or not. Persoanlly I would just get a tuxedo urchin and sally lightfoot crabs to deal with it.
I have a tuxedo urchin, this algae is a maroon color. The Tonga branch is so porous I’m sure it’s anchored good. Sally lightfoots I haven’t tried. I have scolys, acans and blastos, will they steal food from them?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sally lightfoot crabs will take food from a coral but no more so than clean shrimp or coral banded shrimp. You might be able to keep 2 tuxedo urchins in your system. I usually just do 1 for evey 50 gallons but have kept 1 per 25 gallons.

OP
OP
DHill6

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sally lightfoot crabs will take food from a coral but no more so than clean shrimp or coral banded shrimp. You might be able to keep 2 tuxedo urchins in your system. I usually just do 1 for evey 50 gallons but have kept 1 per 25 gallons.
Thanks for the info. I don’t have any crabs in this tank.

OP
OP
DHill6

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea! The stubborn maroon algae, now orange is disappearing. Hopefully this rip clean took care of it.

Back