Rosebanded and mystery questions

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a rose based wrasse yesterday from an lfs for great price. He has one , a male, in a 60 cube display, with 4-5 other wrasses and see no aggression.

How bad are these guys really? I have mine in QT, debating whether or not to find home another home. Currently in qt with a magma and 8 line flasher.

Lastly, picked up a small mystery wrasse. Maybe an inch. Same deal, good price, but debating weather or not it’s worth it.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i think you're going to want to upgrade.. the rose banded gets like 8"

and i definitely wouldn't put a psuedochilinus in a small tank with numerous expensive cirrhilabrus

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so rosebanded should be good aggression wise but will need bigger tank.

Mystery don’t use .

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i think you're going to want to upgrade.. the rose banded gets like 8"

and i definitely wouldn't put a psuedochilinus in a small tank with numerous expensive cirrhilabrus

Fish base lists maximum size for C. roseafascia at 4"?

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish base lists maximum size for C. roseafascia at 4"?

you're right, scratch what i said... idk what i was thinking. i thought there was a member of the flame group that got really big and really aggressive

still, evolved has them listed as 120 gallons on his chart. are they super aggressive? 120 gallons for a 4" fish seems quite large. i swear i saw them listed somewhere recently (maybe divers den?) and it said max size 8" min tank size 120 gallons, which surprised me because I thought the largest fairies were 6" or so

so in summary, i'm an idiot, but i still wouldn't put a mystery wrasse in there!

edit: so there's one on DD right now rosebanded and it says max size 5 1/2" and tank size 70 gallons so i suppose i can't blame liveaquaria

Last edited:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're right, scratch what i said... idk what i was thinking. i thought there was a member of the flame group that got really big and really aggressive

still, evolved has them listed as 120 gallons on his chart. are they super aggressive? 120 gallons for a 4" fish seems quite large. i swear i saw them listed somewhere recently (maybe divers den?) and it said max size 8" min tank size 120 gallons, which surprised me because I thought the largest fairies were 6" or so

so in summary, i'm an idiot, but i still wouldn't put a mystery wrasse in there!

Not at all! You are right, they are pretty aggressive. I have one and so far it's been very benign. Maybe because my tank is 72x24 and I have 6 other fairy wrasses with 3 of them a lot bigger than him. Definitely not suited for a 60 gallon.

Agree completely about the mystery wrasse. I hate it too, they are so beautiful.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all! You are right, they are pretty aggressive. I have one and so far it's been very benign. Maybe because my tank is 72x24 and I have 6 other fairy wrasses with 3 of them a lot bigger than him. Definitely not suited for a 60 gallon.

Agree completely about the mystery wrasse. I hate it too, they are so beautiful.

yeah i saw you had one, they're a beautiful fish hopefully it behaves for you! that tail is awesome

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back