OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. A friend and fellow reefer I met through work used to own his own construction company, so his tank was very DIY and has a lot of purpose-built parts and features. Not a nicely finished as yours is, but reminded me of it all. Out of curiosity, are you an electrician? I ask since it looks like you're doing a decent amount of electrical work and I wonder when inspections/permits need to come into play for a build like this, if at all.

I'm not currently licensed in the state I now live in, but you don't need to be for homeowner installed improvements with the proper permits and inspections. All work must also be done in compliance with state and local building codes.

For an example of electrical experience... I project manager DELL's data center consolidation project in Aliso Viejo, CA if that's of any consulation.

Michael Dell's aquarium was pretty cool too :)
20190624_100752.jpg

Last edited:

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not currently licensed in the state I now live in, but you don't need to be for homeowner installed improvements with the proper permits and inspections.

As far as electrical experience... one of the coolest and electrical centric projects I've overseen was of DELL's data center in Aliso Viejo, CA if that's of any consulation.

Michael Dell's aquarium was pretty cool too :)
20190624_100752.jpg

Wow! That's amazing! Thanks for the info about the improvements, I was just curious since I know the demo work especially can be a big deal when it comes to structural stability. Hope you're enjoying whatever your new work is and we'll always be very jealous of the rich folks with their giant tanks :D

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. A friend and fellow reefer I met through work used to own his own construction company, so his tank was very DIY and has a lot of purpose-built parts and features. Not a nicely finished as yours is, but reminded me of it all. Out of curiosity, are you an electrician? I ask since it looks like you're doing a decent amount of electrical work and I wonder when inspections/permits need to come into play for a build like this, if at all.

I must also say that electricity scares the absolute doo doo out of me. I've seen a guy blown across a room flipping an 800amp service on. So I would highly suggest that anyone doing this type of work do higher an electrician unless they have extensive knowledge and experience!

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must also say that electricity scares the absolute doo doo out of me. I've seen a guy blown across a room flipping an 800amp service on. So I would highly suggest that anyone doing this type of work do higher an electrician unless they have extensive knowledge and experience!

For sure - it's one of those things that seems like little more than a movie effect, but high-current electrical work is no joke. I have zero intent to do anything personally, but a full custom build like this is on my way way way down the road list of things I want.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That's amazing! Thanks for the info about the improvements, I was just curious since I know the demo work especially can be a big deal when it comes to structural stability. Hope you're enjoying whatever your new work is and we'll always be very jealous of the rich folks with their giant tanks :D

I also have degrees in civil engineering, construction management, and technology from Purdue ;). There's a 24" composite wood beam above the tank, and it's more than sufficient to handle the loading.

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have degrees in civil engineering, construction management, and technology from Purdue ;). There's a 24" composite wood beam above the tank, and it's more than sufficient to handle the loading.

Well see, you should've just said that you were a construction and tech super-genius :p . Would've saved some space on the thread here :D

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure - it's one of those things that seems like little more than a movie effect, but high-current electrical work is no joke. I have zero intent to do anything personally, but a full custom build like this is on my way way way down the road list of things I want.

I believe it will happen for you!

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Side access.” “Air return.” “Independent fish room lighting.” “Winch.” I’ve seen quite a lot since joining R2R about a year ago, but you are a Madman! In a GOOD way!! So meticulously thought out, and so competently executed! Beautiful job, and I will continue to watch this inspiring tank built right through the water and fish. Congratulations... :)
Thank you so much! It's been five years since my last tank, and moving around the country for Major Capitol construction Projects. Extactic that's its finally happening.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a busy weekend! A lot was accomplished, and I'm happy how far this project has come.

Saturday morning was planning. So I fired up the AutoCAD and drew the schematics for the water station stand and QT stand.

water tank.JPG

QT stand.JPG

Saturday afternoon, I headed to Lowe's, picked up supplies, then came home and cut all the 2x4's.
20190629_150902.jpg

By the evening, I had 1/2 of the water tank stand complete.

20190629_193812.jpg

Side note for the design, I noticed the barrels I had purchased had little indentions that made a perfect way to secure the barrels in place.

20190629_193827.jpg

A little unhappy that I didn't get further, I had to retire for the night. My legs were getting tired!

Bright and early Sunday morning, I was back at it again. A little tip for anyone doing woodworking with their project: jigs make the woodworking world go around!

20190630_092647.jpg

The jig in the picture allowed me to install all the vertical members quickly, and at the same spacing.

A little proof of concept that bolts and indents actually hold the barrels in place.

20190630_122143.jpg

With a little more work, the water stand was finished!

20190630_124750.jpg

It was time to move the water tanks into place.

20190630_130757.jpg

20190630_130759.jpg

Awesome. Great. I'm motivated, so I started building the QT tank stand and it came out nicely.

20190630_153010.jpg

Moved it into place.
20190630_180132.jpg

By this time I'm feeling like a production machine! So I go ahead and build out the stands for the sump and the skimmer

20190630_180143.jpg

Hold on tight because its plumbing time!!!

20190630_130759.jpg

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet.
Great workmanship.

I love the table you have there in the garage.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got up bright and early this morning and started drawing the schematics for the plumbing. While in development, adding auto water changes to the QT tanks was also decided.

The schematic looks like plumbing madness, but I have confidence it will make more sense as it builds out.

Plumbing Schematic.JPG

It also comes with a quite hefty bill of materials, so I'm off to buy every 1/2" 90 degree fitting from every hardware store in a 30 mile radius

Parts Schedule.JPG

The overflow piping isn't part of this stage, but will be shortly after.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 48 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 54 54.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 23 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.0%

Back