Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving the tank into place!

20190527_142051.jpg

20190527_143250.jpg

20190527_153541.jpg

20190527_151926.jpg

Going to tear this ramp down, pour myself some bourbon, and call it a day.
dang! scary looking pics!

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been awhile since I've updated anything with my build. Finally got off my behind and started the control panel this weekend.

20191012_153552.jpg

20191013_120731.jpg

The green switches are the primary on/off, while the red switches are 'on' overrides for anything with a float switch or timer.

I have some more learning to do with arduino before I move everything to a digital interface, bit this will work until then.

I also ordered another pump that will be dedicated to mixing saltwater. I'll have updates on that in a few days.
Wow, way too many buttons... lol.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardly a half-effort! Looks great. I' a big fan of the rocker switches, too. I'm about 1 month into my apex and I already dislike reaching for my phone all the time when I need to switch something off.
I'll lean toward closed circuit / non-cloud based systems anyday!

Last edited:

Sinfullchef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sir are the inspiration I need to clean up my cable management. Absolutely incredible build and a stellar build thread!

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! The wiring looks great! Is everything soldered, screwed down, crimped? Loving the holders regardless.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! The wiring looks great! Is everything soldered, screwed down, crimped? Loving the holders regardless.
Thank you! :) All of the above accept soldered. The only thing I have to solder are the tiny solid neutral wires for the timers. After all the wiring is in, I'll add zip tie mounts and zip tie everything to keep it in place. I'll need to anyway since the door is on hinges.

The holders inside the box, next to the junction boxes, are just 1" pvc sections. I had a space constraint, so I couldn't use the grey pvc clamps there. They have little legs on both sides which made them too big. I did however go the easy route with the pvc clamps on the door.

If my 3D printer wasn't on it's last legs, I would have custom made all the parts, and my wife has pretty much put the kibosh on my getting another 3d printer.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do I want for Christmas?

PAR meter?
1/2 of a calcium reactor setup?
2 more MP40's?
A nicer doser instead of Jabeo?
Frag tank lights?

Sinfullchef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do I want for Christmas?

PAR meter?
1/2 of a calcium reactor setup?
2 more MP40's?
A nicer doser instead of Jabeo?
Frag tank lights?

So many great options here. Which would be the most pressing in near future needs? My guess would be a better doser or more MP40's if flow is still an issue. Imho frag tank lights and a calcium reactor won't be needed until your coral load increases. Then again I am frequently wrong lol.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many great options here. Which would be the most pressing in near future needs? My guess would be a better doser or more MP40's if flow is still an issue. Imho frag tank lights and a calcium reactor won't be needed until your coral load increases. Then again I am frequently wrong lol.
More than one way to go about this hobby, friend. All corals will be in QT for at least 72 days, so the frag/qt systems need to be equipped and sustainable. You just helped me put PAR meter and frag tank lights at the top of the list :). Thank you :)

Sinfullchef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than one way to go about this hobby, friend. All corals will be in QT for at least 72 days, so the frag/qt systems need to be equipped and sustainable. You just helped me put PAR meter and frag tank lights at the top of the list :). Thank you :)
Glad I could help in a roundabout way!

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that you clearly need a new 3D printer. How else are you going to make all the cool new stuff that you need? The trick is that you get the printer, then make your own MP40's. Somehow. You're smart and can figure it out.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back