OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah starting with dry rock is more difficult than starting with live rock. Live rock is literally a jumpstart for reef tanks.

Looking good so far!
Thank you!

The dry rock has been a learning curve for me. Didn't even think about curing it before it went in the tank. Regardless of it leeching P04 or not, my feeding regimine probably supplies 10x more N03/P04.

My main goal right now is working toward an export system that can keep up with my heavy nutrient import.

If I can proactively solve this now before corals, I'll consider myself to be on a strong path for success. Especially if I can avoid gfo and carbon.

Last edited:

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the goal for my system as well. I'm making progress on it again and hoping to have it at wet by January 1.

N carbon (maybe occasionally), no gfo, no chemicals beyond 2 part etc, no abstract dosing, no blocks, no socks, no filter floss.

Just rock, light, fuge, skimmer, flow and h2o2

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the goal for my system as well. I'm making progress on it again and hoping to have it at wet by January 1.

N carbon (maybe occasionally), no gfo, no chemicals beyond 2 part etc, no abstract dosing, no blocks, no socks, no filter floss.

Just rock, light, fuge, skimmer, flow and h2o2
I can be your ATS test dummy, hah! Seems like we have very similar goals.

I went a few days without filter socks, but found thier too useful for removing the finer particulates.

After the ATS, I plan to run AWC with Triton 'other methods'.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping the fuge algae and rocks in the sumo catch the finer particulates. I am going to have a "display" fuge. Although you will only be able to see it with the stand door open.

It's about what I know right?? Haha

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On that note... ATS Day 3:
20191205_074529.jpg

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping the fuge algae and rocks in the sumo catch the finer particulates. I am going to have a "display" fuge. Although you will only be able to see it with the stand door open.

It's about what I know right?? Haha
My first and impulse reaction was to run chaeto like I always did in the past. But I think the system is just too new and has too much nutrients imported to be the "dominant" export.

I also think my fuge chamber is extremely undersized for display/macro algae to achieve what I'm trying to achieve.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever consider a solid pvc bar instead of the three pipes? Remove the middle, connect left and right. Drill holes across so water flows more evenly down the sheet? Just caught my eye here seeing the water pattern.
Definitly something to consider. I had a version 0 that I didn't show on here that used two pipes and the traditional rain/waterfall style. The pump I'm using for this didn't have enough "umph" to push water across the entire screen with the "slit" cut style. Could also have been because it was connected to two pipes and not one.

U

User1

View Badges
Definitly something to consider. I had a version 0 that I didn't show on here that used two pipes and the traditional rain/waterfall style. The pump I'm using for this didn't have enough "umph" to push water across the entire screen with the "slit" cut style. Could also have been because it was connected to two pipes and not one.

Cool. Also I forgot to say great job. I've been sort of going backwards through your thread rather than from page one. Sorry about that.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through the build. Great job. The attention to detail and innovation when problems have popped up is fantastic. Can't wait to see this tank with corals in it. If the process this far is any indication it is going to be amazing.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through the build. Great job. The attention to detail and innovation when problems have popped up is fantastic. Can't wait to see this tank with corals in it. If the process this far is any indication it is going to be amazing.
Thank you so much! I'm eager for corals too. They will probably be slow though, as I'm probably going to have to travel to find ones I want. As for right now, I'm just trying to figure out how to keep water, rocks, and fish in the largest system I've ever owned.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever consider a solid pvc bar instead of the three pipes? Remove the middle, connect left and right. Drill holes across so water flows more evenly down the sheet? Just caught my eye here seeing the water pattern.
I changed the way the sheet connects to the "pegs" which gave me a much more even flow pattern. Unfortunately i had to remove the "dump" bracket to get the sheet back on. I think I could achieve the same even spread with snap x slip saddle tees and a cut slit. Maybe in the future but it still works for now.
20191206_075836.jpg

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to notice a more vibrant green in some spots:

20191205_182618.jpg

Day 4 growth doesnt seem to be as robust as the first 3 days.

20191206_075611.jpg

Last edited:

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Foxface that sucked it right down. But you might try a small bit of it on a clip at least until you can determine who in the tank might go for it— so that it doesn’t just float around loose without being consumed. Maybe even try Nori and your own scrubber-algae side by side on a clip, so they get the hang of eating it. Worth a try.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 60 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back