20200117_132031.jpg
20200117_132036.jpg
20200117_132046.jpg

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice work, here. Truly a work of art and some real skills being demonstrated there.

I enjoy watching your build progress. Some of your ideas are helping to inspire my own build. Thank you for sharing your journey and ideas with everyone on here.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice work, here. Truly a work of art and some real skills being demonstrated there.

I enjoy watching your build progress. Some of your ideas are helping to inspire my own build. Thank you for sharing your journey and ideas with everyone on here.
Very kind words, thank you! I think this is it. No more additions are planned, maybe some minor tweaks, but that's it. The only thing left on my list is a calcium reactor, and I definitly don't have the corals to justify one yet.

If you ever need any help with your own build, feel free to ask me for any help !

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever need any help with your own build, feel free to ask me for any help !

Thank you sir! Might have minced my words, as my build is all complete - but I'm constantly dialing things in. Both of my tanks are going through a major hair algae outbreak. It's growing prolifically. I'm dosing vibrant with high hopes, but not seeing any progress 4 weeks in. It's bad. And I mean bad.

There's a really good chance that I'll contact you in the future when I decide to take on some additional projects, though... I like the way you think! :)

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you sir! Might have minced my words, as my build is all complete - but I'm constantly dialing things in. Both of my tanks are going through a major hair algae outbreak. It's growing prolifically. I'm dosing vibrant with high hopes, but not seeing any progress 4 weeks in. It's bad. And I mean bad.

There's a really good chance that I'll contact you in the future when I decide to take on some additional projects, though... I like the way you think! :)
The slant ATS controlled algae in the DT very well.

Also:
I attacked dinos with a waste away/bacteria bloom which pretty much stopped the ATS from growing for awhile. During this time I also took off plastic background on the tank and painted it black. Light from the fuge was getting in at the seam of the glass panes and that's exactly where algae started growing in the DT. I'm waiting for my new ATS's to ramp up on thier own, without seeding. Nothing I'm worried about!

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The slant ATS controlled algae in the DT very well.

Also:
I attacked dinos with a waste away/bacteria bloom which pretty much stopped the ATS from growing for awhile.

Which waste away product did you use? Or was it in fact a product?

I'm beyond the point of control I feel like. It's covered nearly every surface including the sand. My water parameters could be out of whack- part of the problem is my ignorance I'm sure. Some water testing this weekend should confirm where I'm at in terms of water chemistry. Will proceed accordingly from there.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which waste away product did you use? Or was it in fact a product?

I'm beyond the point of control I feel like. It's covered nearly every surface including the sand. My water parameters could be out of whack- part of the problem is my ignorance I'm sure. Some water testing this weekend should confirm where I'm at in terms of water chemistry. Will proceed accordingly from there.
I used the procedure in this video, but it's for dino's...

But like I said.. it did pretty much stop my ATS dead in its tracks... just have something in place to fill the void when the treatment is over

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby's here! The tank swallows Nitrates. 140ml of neonitro in two days, now its zero again. Shutting down the skimmer!

congratulations on the new frag. I assume everyone is happy and healthy?

How long are you running the lights on the ATS? Could this be a contributing factor to not being able to keep nutrients in the water column?

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congratulations on the new frag. I assume everyone is happy and healthy?

How long are you running the lights on the ATS? Could this be a contributing factor to not being able to keep nutrients in the water column?

Happy and healthy!!!! Thank you!!!

I can't get nitrates high enough for the ATS to really get a foot hold. I saw a large burst of growth on the ATS after dosing neonitrate. Its apparent where the nitrate went. I'm running the ATS on a 12hr photo period.

I can either make the screen smaller or cut back on light time for tuning. The light intensity is already turned all the way down. I apparently build these things for my future 5000g tank. Easier to scale back than to trying to scale up. I knew I over built them, but that was the point. I could remake the spray bar and screen size ina few hours.

Right now, I really just want to see some solid established algae on them, and take it from there.

This neonitro is going to get expensive though!

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back