Rough Idea How Long RO/DI Filters Should Last Based on City Water Quality Report?

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to drag the topic out, but is there any way to get a rough idea how long RO/DI Filters SHOULD last based on my City Water Quality Report?

My City Water Report: https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/documents/files/WQ_table_AODO_Lemieux_2021_2.pdf

If anyone with more knowledge about the topic is able to help (unless even with such a report it's impossible to even get a rough idea), that would be most helpful :D

I just want to make sure I learn all I can and get as much right off the top before being neck deep and scrambling to find answers at that point haha

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the post from Aquatic Life that I found helpful.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to drag the topic out, but is there any way to get a rough idea how long RO/DI Filters SHOULD last based on my City Water Quality Report?

My City Water Report: https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/documents/files/WQ_table_AODO_Lemieux_2021_2.pdf

If anyone with more knowledge about the topic is able to help (unless even with such a report it's impossible to even get a rough idea), that would be most helpful :D

I just want to make sure I learn all I can and get as much right off the top before being neck deep and scrambling to find answers at that point haha
My TDS is 3-5x higher than that. Filter blocks last about 6 months ( I replace carbon at same time), RO membrane lasted about 2 years.

DI is much harder to say due to different chemistry and effects. I switched to 3 stage to prevent burning through mixed only as I was monthly. I have replaced Cation once in 2 years, Anion about every 4 months and Mixed maybe once a year with light usage (20 gallon per week).

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My TDS is 3-5x higher than that. Filter blocks last about 6 months ( I replace carbon at same time), RO membrane lasted about 2 years.

DI is much harder to say due to different chemistry and effects. I switched to 3 stage to prevent burning through mixed only as I was monthly. I have replaced Cation once in 2 years, Anion about every 4 months and Mixed maybe once a year with light usage (20 gallon per week).

Hope that helps.
Hmm okay! So in THEORY, if yours is 3-5x higher, my filter blocks may last upwards to a year you think? And wow 2 years, a lot longer than I had thought (I was thinking they may have to be yearly)! Do you have Alum in your city water though? I'm hearing that might burn through membranes faster.

Sorry, 3 stage RO unit or? I'm not familiar with Cation or Anion, what's that? Specific resin for DI?

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the post from Aquatic Life that I found helpful.

Thanks! I had seen that too, but what confused me is they're saying for example Carbon every 3,000 Gallons at 120 Gallons per week would be every 6 Months, but since everyone's tap water is different, how can they say every 3,000 gallons as a rated standard?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I had seen that too, but what confused me is they're saying for example Carbon every 3,000 Gallons at 120 Gallons per week would be every 6 Months, but since everyone's tap water is different, how can they say every 3,000 gallons as a rated standard?
Somewhere they reference (I can't recall where) what TDS value they use in their estimates. I would imagine the water in Ottawa is similar in quality to Saskatoon, so the standard 3/6/12-month for replacement seems valid.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back