Royal Flasher Wrasse jumping a lot at night time

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding @evolved here as he is the guru of wrasse

So lately, I always find my outside tank is riddled with drips of dried saltwater in the morning. I noticed a couple of times at night that my Royal Flasher Wrasse (RFW) tried to jump out and caused splashes. I do have lid on my tank.

I don't understand why this just started now. This only happens overnight when lights are out. I don't see aggression at all in the tank. Is it the flow? or something else? I actually lowered the wavemakers by 5% and not higher.

It is pain in the butt to keep wiping off the mess in the morning and I would like to understand why he is doing this. Otherwise, he is fine and eating.

Tank mates:
-Two orange clownfish
-Molly miller blenny
-Yellow watchman goby
-Lined dartfish
-Yellow tang
-Melanarus wrasse
-tuxedo urchin
-Bubble tip anemone

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding @evolved here as he is the guru of wrasse

So lately, I always find my outside tank is riddled with drips of dried saltwater in the morning. I noticed a couple of times at night that my Royal Flasher Wrasse (RFW) tried to jump out and caused splashes. I do have lid on my tank.

I don't understand why this just started now. This only happens overnight when lights are out. I don't see aggression at all in the tank. Is it the flow? or something else? I actually lowered the wavemakers by 5% and not higher.

It is pain in the butt to keep wiping off the mess in the morning and I would like to understand why he is doing this. Otherwise, he is fine and eating.

Tank mates:
-Two orange clownfish
-Molly miller blenny
-Yellow watchman goby
-Lined dartfish
-Yellow tang
-Melanarus wrasse
-tuxedo urchin
-Bubble tip anemone
Inverts?

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's just doing what wrasses do

The Royal Flasher Wrasse is a very peaceful and active fish that will bring both color and movement to a fish-only or reef aquarium. ... Similar to other flasher wrasses, the Royal Flasher Wrasse likes to jump, so a tight fitting canopy is essential. - liveaquaria

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's just doing what wrasses do

The Royal Flasher Wrasse is a very peaceful and active fish that will bring both color and movement to a fish-only or reef aquarium. ... Similar to other flasher wrasses, the Royal Flasher Wrasse likes to jump, so a tight fitting canopy is essential. - liveaquaria

But why he is just doing this now though? I have him for months now, and this behavior just started several days ago. Only happens overnight. He does not jump during day time and evening.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back