Royal Gamma Mouth Issue

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t find any of the above mentioned myracin2, kanaplex , etc. in PetSmart or Petco
I did find erythromycin which showed both symptoms on the box. (I have kanaplex showing up on Thursday). Plan is moving him to a different tank and dosing erythromycin. Water will be part DT water and part freshly made. Question is will an air pump and stone work or do I need to use a sponge filter? If it’s the sponge filter do I toss the sponge when done or just clean it? Heater and temp monitor. @vetteguy53081 , @Jay Hemdal

One issue with erythromycin is that it is most effective against gram positive bacteria, and most fish pathogens are gram negative. It can also harm your beneficial bacteria. Can you use some filter media from your main tank to help offset that?

jay

OP
OP
DHill6

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should wait until Kanaplex arrives on Thursday? Sump has Tonga branch and I use pinky floss for filtering. I had put a piece of pinky floss in the sump so I could move it over. Still eating. This morning pics. Erythromycin or wait on the Kanaplex arrival? Move him out of DT now? He has a white ball on fin towards the back, which is? @Jay Hemdal, @vetteguy53081
EBACDA2C-435E-4874-A7C4-1029A1716A61.jpeg
F023A49C-1A0E-4439-BD7A-892F4E53A509.jpeg
D44AEA26-8686-44E8-8DB8-B535C7857DD4.jpeg
95F7675D-C907-49F0-AFCF-B5ECBCA933FF.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DHill6

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have Neoplex coming from another vendor just in case. Is that something that is used to cover most fish pathogens or should I send it back? Erythromycin can be returned if I don’t use it. It showed tail rot and mouth fungus on packaging, reason I picked it up. Doxycycline used on fish ? I have 20 mg tabs

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have Neoplex coming from another vendor just in case. Is that something that is used to cover most fish pathogens or should I send it back? Erythromycin can be returned if I don’t use it. It showed tail rot and mouth fungus on packaging, reason I picked it up. Doxycycline used on fish ? I have 20 mg tabs
Doxycycline is inactivated by calcium so it doesn’t work well in marine systems.
The fish seems to be getting worse? I’d opt for using the erythromycin now and then switching over when the new drug arrives.
Jay

OP
OP
DHill6

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doxycycline is inactivated by calcium so it doesn’t work well in marine systems.
The fish seems to be getting worse? I’d opt for using the erythromycin now and then switching over when the new drug arrives.
Jay
He looks about the same but I should probably treat before he gets worse. I’ll start the erythromycin, it says wait 24 hrs dose again. Wait another 24 hrs and do a 25% water change. By then the Kanaplex should be here. Follow the dose for Kanaplex with the same water correct? A 5 g tank should be big enough for a smaller fish? @ jay hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks about the same but I should probably treat before he gets worse. I’ll start the erythromycin, it says wait 24 hrs dose again. Wait another 24 hrs and do a 25% water change. By then the Kanaplex should be here. Follow the dose for Kanaplex with the same water correct? A 5 g tank should be big enough for a smaller fish? @ jay hemdal
Just test the ammonia daily, it can build pretty fast.
In that small of a tank, I would do a 30% water change between antibiotics. It can’t hurt..

Jay

OP
OP
DHill6

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do, 30% water change. I put an ammonia badge in there. Thanks for all the help.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back