Royal Gramma Basslet hiding suddenly!

bfazio1030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv'e had a Royal Gramma Basslet for about a year. She has been suddenly hiding under the rock work and rarely comes out to eat. This has been going on for 2 months. I noticed that when my diamond goby jumped to his death she started this behavior! Any idea of what may be going on or how to get her to start swimming around again?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHat other fish do you have? Any significant changes in the last couple months? Often a particular fish will wait to see other fish before they come out. If a parasite has been introduced as it proliferates fish may hide more. Fish can see out as well as we can see in and a sudden increase in activity outside the tank may cause fish to be caustious as well.

fishboy3179

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to believe but I have almost the same situation. I had a Gramma and diamond goby plus clowns for about a year. Diamond disappeared idk what happened but it didn't jump. Shortly after that the Gramma disappeared. Today I found the Gramma hiding in a cave, it's been at least two weeks since I last saw it. I thought it was dead but it is not to my surprise. I don't know what's going on here. All of my rock is dry pukani that was cured in complete darkness for over two years before setup so I don't suspect any kind of worm predator. The only other thing that has been introduced to my tank that could possibly, maybe, bring in a worm is a couple of frags??

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it normal when fish tend to hide, but that is me with 3 sand sleeping wrasses (Macropharyngodon bipartitus, Halichoeres chloropterus and Halichoeres iridis), 3 gobies (Stonogobiops yasha, Gobiodon strangulatus, Koumansetta hectori), a tilefish (Hoplolatilus chlupatyi) and other skittish wrasses (Cirrhilabrus naokoae, Cirrhilabrus lubbocki “Indonesia”, Pseudocheilinops ataenia).
If you feed does it come out? If so then that makes me think that something else in the tank startled it, I have found with many of the skittish fish that if something happens infront of it such as aggression then they tend to hide for a few weeks and slowly get reused to the environment they’re in.

fishboy3179

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it normal when fish tend to hide, but that is me with 3 sand sleeping wrasses (Macropharyngodon bipartitus, Halichoeres chloropterus and Halichoeres iridis), 3 gobies (Stonogobiops yasha, Gobiodon strangulatus, Koumansetta hectori), a tilefish (Hoplolatilus chlupatyi) and other skittish wrasses (Cirrhilabrus naokoae, Cirrhilabrus lubbocki “Indonesia”, Pseudocheilinops ataenia).
If you feed does it come out? If so then that makes me think that something else in the tank startled it, I have found with many of the skittish fish that if something happens infront of it such as aggression then they tend to hide for a few weeks and slowly get reused to the environment they’re in.
Nah I haven't seen it come out since finding out it was still alive. It's been "missing" for about two weeks or more. Looks healthy still, it obviously must be eating It use to hang out all the time with the clowns. Now it's in a small passage. I can shine a light and see it's moving around in there.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah I haven't seen it come out since finding out it was still alive. It's been "missing" for about two weeks or more. Looks healthy still, it obviously must be eating It use to hang out all the time with the clowns. Now it's in a small passage. I can shine a light and see it's moving around in there.
try target feeding into the hole it’s in then, it may come out with that. Or keep an eye after and before lights on/off, it may be nocturnal (I don’t quite know how this fish behaves in the wild so I couldn’t tell you if it’s Nocturnal or Diurnal).

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 51 53.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.4%
Back