Royal gramma discoloration near tail. flukes?

Dknight43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up guys just recently picked up a royal gramma basslet and noticed some discoloration today, which may be from stress but I wanted to see what others thought. He ate pretty much as soon as I put him in the tank and hasn’t shown any symptoms other than the discoloration. Sorry for poor picture quality, I’ll retake pictures tomorrow when my filter comes in.

BF7F46F8-AD8F-4E6F-A8EB-8E58CA390C07.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up guys just recently picked up a royal gramma basslet and noticed some discoloration today, which may be from stress but I wanted to see what others thought. He ate pretty much as soon as I put him in the tank and hasn’t shown any symptoms other than the discoloration. Sorry for poor picture quality, I’ll retake pictures tomorrow when my filter comes in.

BF7F46F8-AD8F-4E6F-A8EB-8E58CA390C07.jpeg
These often have flukes, I prefer to treat them with prazipro.
However, that notch in the caudal fin is an injury. Did it come to you like? If not, something in your tank bit it.
Jay

OP
OP
Dknight43

Dknight43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These often have flukes, I prefer to treat them with prazipro.
However, that notch in the caudal fin is an injury. Did it come to you like? If not, something in your tank bit it.
Jay
yes, I got it like this, i just noticed the discoloration today since he has been hiding since i got him aside from grabbing food and running back to his cave, and its only near the tail and its gradual discoloration which is why I thought it was maybe stress. my problem rn is I don't have a qt tank to use, is there an invert safe option to treat flukes. i plan to do a freshwater dip once can get some water up to temp though regardless.

edit: current stocking includes
2 lightning clowns
1 green chromis
1 six line wrasse
1 royal gramma
1 emerald crab
4 halloween hermits
4 snails
1 peppermint shrimp
1 skunk cleaner shrimp

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I see is that he got beat up. I would try to provide best condition for him and watch him in QT. If he shows signs of disease, then treat him, if he eats and heal then let him be.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is from aggression and likely from LFS. To assume its bacterial or fish needs help is absurd. If left alone should heal on its own as long as no fin ray damage which does not seem to be the case.
As for feeding- This is a shy fish at first often spending time seeking out territory. Also- What foods are you offering as this is not a fish to get excited with flake and pellet diet- Not a goldfish

OP
OP
Dknight43

Dknight43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I see is that he got beat up. I would try to provide best condition for him and watch him in QT. If he shows signs of disease, then treat him, if he eats and heal then let him be.
Yea picture doesn’t show it too well it’s right where his splits and just go a little farther up, under blue light it’s more visible too me at least

OP
OP
Dknight43

Dknight43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from aggression and likely from LFS. To assume its bacterial or fish needs help is absurd. If left alone should heal on its own as long as no fin ray damage which does not seem to be the case.
As for feeding- This is a shy fish at first often spending time seeking out territory. Also- What foods are you offering as this is not a fish to get excited with flake and pellet diet- Not a goldfish
He’s been fed frozen Mysis and will nibble on a omnivore frozen mix I give to some of my other fish, I’m still really new to saltwater and aquariums in general. So this is all new to me I just want to make sure I’m handling stuff correctly sorry if I am jumping to conclusions, it wasn’t intended

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He’s been fed frozen Mysis and will nibble on a omnivore frozen mix I give to some of my other fish, I’m still really new to saltwater and aquariums in general. So this is all new to me I just want to make sure I’m handling stuff correctly sorry if I am jumping to conclusions, it wasn’t intended
Youre doing good. You recognized imperfection and obtaining proper diets

tanked4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you have a beat-up royal gramma. In fact, my six-line created a very similar looking injury to the tail fin of my gramma when the six-line was first introduced to my tank. They eventually sorted it out and are now living relatively peacefully.

It is a very positive sign the Gramma is eating well. You may be able to save this guy.

If possible, setup a quarantine tank for the gramma to recover and build strength. The quarantine tank does not need to elaborate. Here is my setup:

- 10 gallon tank w/ lid or screen
- heater
- hang on back filter
- PVC pipe for the fish to hide
- desk lamp on a timer to simulate day/night cycle
- Seachem Ammonia Alert badge

You should seed your tank with live rock or rubble from your display tank. Have some clean, pre-mixed saltwater ready to go if the ammonia starts to spike.

Leave the Gramma in there for 3-4 weeks. During this time, observe the gramma for indications of bacterial or parasite issues. Feed the gramma some high-quality fish food (I use LRS Nano Reef) soaked in vitamin supplement (e.g., Selcon). The Gramma will appreciate the alone time and should heal/recover from the wounds and stress.

If the quarantine tank is not possible, I would still feed the Gramma the LRS with vitamins and observe.

I would keep a close eye on your six-line. They can be an aggressive fish and cause problems. In the future, try to add the six-line last to your tank last.

For future reference, I would avoid purchasing a beat-up fish from the LFS. The stress can be a real killer.

Welcome to the club. This is a great hobby.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
Dknight43

Dknight43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you have a beat-up royal gramma. In fact, my six-line created a very similar looking injury to the tail fin of my gramma when the six-line was first introduced to my tank. They eventually sorted it out and are now living relatively peacefully.

It is a very positive sign the Gramma is eating well. You may be able to save this guy.

If possible, setup a quarantine tank for the gramma to recover and build strength. The quarantine tank does not need to elaborate. Here is my setup:

- 10 gallon tank w/ lid or screen
- heater
- hang on back filter
- PVC pipe for the fish to hide
- desk lamp on a timer to simulate day/night cycle
- Seachem Ammonia Alert badge

You should seed your tank with live rock or rubble from your display tank. Have some clean, pre-mixed saltwater ready to go if the ammonia starts to spike.

Leave the Gramma in there for 3-4 weeks. During this time, observe the gramma for indications of bacterial or parasite issues. Feed the gramma some high-quality fish food (I use LRS Nano Reef) soaked in vitamin supplement (e.g., Selcon). The Gramma will appreciate the alone time and should heal/recover from the wounds and stress.

If the quarantine tank is not possible, I would still feed the Gramma the LRS with vitamins and observe.

I would keep a close eye on your six-line. They can be an aggressive fish and cause problems. In the future, try to add the six-line last to your tank last.

For future reference, I would avoid purchasing a beat-up fish from the LFS. The stress can be a real killer.

Welcome to the club. This is a great hobby.

Good Luck!
The main aggressor I have is my female clown she is a d*ck lol but six line has been doing ok and pretty much stays to himself he was second to last in tank . I’ll try to get a little quarantine set up going here soon and keep an eye on the gramma

OP
OP
Dknight43

Dknight43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for everyone, I think it is skin flukes or something else here is some pics of my clowns for about 5 min ago, lmk if I am wrong #fishmedic
Edit: also noticed female is breathing rather heavy
FB6B7DA1-E8A9-4FD9-A3A9-EFCE04BF429C.jpeg D11AE616-5725-4A4E-BD4A-00B25E708B5D.jpeg BCC90A77-34E7-40CC-8729-3561A2384557.jpeg C6062D73-E97F-4CF0-85FF-3DE6D88CB109.jpeg 1CE038BD-BDB8-46E4-AAE2-4C97B2422C50.jpeg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes are tricky to ID visually - you can’t see the flukes, only the damage that they do; the skin looks rough, the eyes a bit cloudy, or in the case of gill flukes, rapid breathing.
If you suspect flukes, a 2x dose of Prazipro, with good aeration, 8 days apart will often work. This treatment can be done in the display so that’s a plus.
How is the gramma?
Jay

OP
OP
Dknight43

Dknight43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes are tricky to ID visually - you can’t see the flukes, only the damage that they do; the skin looks rough, the eyes a bit cloudy, or in the case of gill flukes, rapid breathing.
If you suspect flukes, a 2x dose of Prazipro, with good aeration, 8 days apart will often work. This treatment can be done in the display so that’s a plus.
How is the gramma?
Jay
Gramma still has the spot near it’s tail but is eating fine so not too sure he’s been out and about and all seem to eat fine, is prazipro safe for inverts? And would you suggest a freshwater dip with the breathing ? And what is a good aeration to use i currently don’t have anything

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro is safe for invertebrates. A FW dip may buy you some time if you can’t get Prazipro right away. However, chasing fish all around to catch them for a dip often cases substantial stress and damage.
Jay

OP
OP
Dknight43

Dknight43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro is safe for invertebrates. A FW dip may buy you some time if you can’t get Prazipro right away. However, chasing fish all around to catch them for a dip often cases substantial stress and damage.
Jay
Ok thank you, I’ll just order the prazipro cause currently I only have metroplex and api general care unless either of those will work. I don’t want to cause them any more stress. And would a normal air stone work for aeration?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you, I’ll just order the prazipro cause currently I only have metroplex and api general care unless either of those will work. I don’t want to cause them any more stress. And would a normal air stone work for aeration?
General Cure has praziquantel in it, but it is not reef safe because it also has metronidazole.

Yes - a good airstone works fine. If you have a skimmer, that helps with aeration, just don't collect any skimmate while you are treating the tank.

Jay

OP
OP
Dknight43

Dknight43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update after first dose of prazipro, not seeing much improvement doing water change today , fish are still eating fine so not sure what’s going on.
providing a vid showing the 2 clowns #fishmedic (I apologize to keep bugging you jay)

Attachments

• IMG_4223.MOV
    21.5 MB

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back