royal gramma flahing against rocks

biggjoe8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal gramma has been back in dt for 2months. Prior to that it was in qt being treated for ich. 4 weeks of copper. 2 weeks of Prazipro. Shows no signs of ich. First time I have noticed it since adding back to tank.It is fat and healthy looking and eats normally. Should i add some Prazipro in case it is flukes?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry - Unless I'm hallucinating - Im not sure you mentioned what exactly you are seeing thats different? If you mean the flashing - the prazipro etc - assuming done correctly - should have taken care of the major parasites? Can you give any more information - i.e. what's in the tank - were those quarantined? Any other additions

OP
OP
B

biggjoe8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - Unless I'm hallucinating - Im not sure you mentioned what exactly you are seeing thats different? If you mean the flashing - the prazipro etc - assuming done correctly - should have taken care of the major parasites? Can you give any more information - i.e. what's in the tank - were those quarantined? Any other additions
Sorry yeah it was the flashing. Tank mates are coral beauty, pajama cardinal and red firefish goby. All fish were in qt together for 6 weeks. No new additions.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Royal gramma has been back in dt for 2months. Prior to that it was in qt being treated for ich. 4 weeks of copper. 2 weeks of Prazipro. Shows no signs of ich. First time I have noticed it since adding back to tank.It is fat and healthy looking and eats normally. Should i add some Prazipro in case it is flukes?
The behavior you describe points to flukes.
Any labored breathing or change in diet ?
Regarding your treatment of Brook mentioned, you had a short-fall in treatment which sould have gone at least 17 days with proper dosage administered for an 8 day interval, followed by water changed and one more 8 day treatment regimen . With flukes depending on type, you may have to add yet one more more dosage for 8 day interval.
As flukes often reach the gills first, its likely that the flashing against rocks is in response to irritation its trying to shake

OP
OP
B

biggjoe8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The behavior you describe points to flukes.
Any labored breathing or change in diet ?
Regarding your treatment of Brook mentioned, you had a short-fall in treatment which sould have gone at least 17 days with proper dosage administered for an 8 day interval, followed by water changed and one more 8 day treatment regimen . With flukes depending on type, you may have to add yet one more more dosage for 8 day interval.
As flukes often reach the gills first, its likely that the flashing against rocks is in response to irritation its trying to shake
No labored breathing. No change in diet. While in qt added first treatment of Prazipro on 8/10/22. On 8/18/22 did a 30% water change and then added second dose of Prazipro. On 8/27/22 added all fish to dt.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No labored breathing. No change in diet. While in qt added first treatment of Prazipro on 8/10/22. On 8/18/22 did a 30% water change and then added second dose of Prazipro. On 8/27/22 added all fish to dt.
How frequently is the gramma flashing?
Sometimes gill flukes get through prazi treatments because some are egg layers and prazi doesn’t kill the eggs. The 8 day spacing is designed to try and have all fluke eggs hatch out and then kill them before the new flukes get old enough to lay new eggs….but it doesn’t always work.
Jay

OP
OP
B

biggjoe8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How frequently is the gramma flashing?
Sometimes gill flukes get through prazi treatments because some are egg layers and prazi doesn’t kill the eggs. The 8 day spacing is designed to try and have all fluke eggs hatch out and then kill them before the new flukes get old enough to lay new eggs….but it doesn’t always work.
Jay
Caught it doing it 4 or 5 times in 5 minute period. That was 2 hours ago. Hasn"t done it since.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught it doing it 4 or 5 times in 5 minute period. That was 2 hours ago. Hasn"t done it since.
Maybe wait to see if it does that again. Gramma are really twitchy fish, seems like they flash a lot, even when other fish in the tank seem fine.
Flukes don’t kill fast, so you have some days to try and ensure you have an accurate diagnosis.
Jay

OP
OP
B

biggjoe8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe wait to see if it does that again. Gramma are really twitchy fish, seems like they flash a lot, even when other fish in the tank seem fine.
Flukes don’t kill fast, so you have some days to try and ensure you have an accurate diagnosis.
Jay
Ok thank you. I will keep an eye on her for the next couple of days before starting any treatment. I have noticed the coral beauty and her have had a couple of little skirmishes lately but not fighting constantly. Could this be adding to her stress?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back