Royal gramma has small white spot on pectoral fin

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed today that my Royal Gramma has a small white spot on the pectoral fin. It has a good appetite and is very active. No visible signs of sickness. I started dosing Copper Power on 7/30, and the current copper level after a 10% water change is around 1.0 ppm. Should I increase the dosage? I'm also quarantining 3 Talbot's damselfish with it and none of them have any spots.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed today that my Royal Gramma has a small white spot on the pectoral fin. It has a good appetite and is very active. No visible signs of sickness. I started dosing Copper Power on 7/30, and the current copper level after a 10% water change is around 1.0 ppm. Should I increase the dosage? I'm also quarantining 3 Talbot's damselfish with it and none of them have any spots.
Copper Power needs to be kept at 2.5ppm or so to be most effective. You may want to up the dosage and then observe for a few weeks.

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small white spot could be lots of things. Fish herpes, ick, etc.

If it doesn't go away immediately with copper it's likely herpes and will take care of itself after several weeks/months.

*I don't remember the actual name for herpes.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small white spot could be lots of things. Fish herpes, ick, etc.

If it doesn't go away immediately with copper it's likely herpes and will take care of itself after several weeks/months.

*I don't remember the actual name for herpes.
I believe you are thinking of Lymphocystis. But, I’ve found those spots seem a bit more irregular looking and less like a perfect round spot than ich.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you can post a pic, that might help. It could be Lymphocystis, royal gramma are the poster child for that disease.

As mentioned though, you need to get your fish to full dose copper much faster, only take 24 to 36 hours to get to 2.5 ppm. Every day your fish spend below full dose increases the chance for protozoan disease cropping up. Copper does not "partially work" at partial doses, it is all or nothing. Taking time to ramp up modern copper products due to sensitivity is also not needed, just an old wives tale from back in the day when we used copper/citric acid.

Jay

OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can post a pic, that might help. It could be Lymphocystis, royal gramma are the poster child for that disease.

As mentioned though, you need to get your fish to full dose copper much faster, only take 24 to 36 hours to get to 2.5 ppm. Every day your fish spend below full dose increases the chance for protozoan disease cropping up. Copper does not "partially work" at partial doses, it is all or nothing. Taking time to ramp up modern copper products due to sensitivity is also not needed, just an old wives tale from back in the day when we used copper/citric acid.

Jay
Ok. Should I gradually increase the dosage a teaspoon or 2 at a time? I will try to take a pic. Doesn't look any different today.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Should I gradually increase the dosage a teaspoon or 2 at a time? I will try to take a pic. Doesn't look any different today.

A picture will help at least rule some things out, if not directly tell us what's up.

For copper - you need to know the exact volume of your tank (not its rated one). Then, using a good copper test kit, you measure your current value and then calculate the remaining amount required to get to 2.5 ppm and then add it.

I can help you with the math if you get me the numbers (tank volume, current copper level and dosage from the bottle0.

Jay

OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture will help at least rule some things out, if not directly tell us what's up.

For copper - you need to know the exact volume of your tank (not its rated one). Then, using a good copper test kit, you measure your current value and then calculate the remaining amount required to get to 2.5 ppm and then add it.

I can help you with the math if you get me the numbers (tank volume, current copper level and dosage from the bottle0.

Jay
The QT is 20 gallons. I added 1 fl oz of copper power, but levels have decreased after a 20% and 10% water change.

OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 1/4 fl oz more of Copper Power. I will wait a few hours and see what this increases the concentration too.

OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really hard to see what it is because my Royal Gramma moves so quickly. All I can make out is a tiny blotch on the fin.

OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very weird but the spot ok the the fin has dissipated overnight. I'm starting to think it was lymphocytis due to stress. Also, my Vopper measurement was way off I got my Hanna copper test kit today and my copper is actually 2.38 ppm. Threw the Salifert kit in the garbage.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very weird but the spot ok the the fin has dissipated overnight. I'm starting to think it was lymphocytis due to stress. Also, my Vopper measurement was way off I got my Hanna copper test kit today and my copper is actually 2.38 ppm. Threw the Salifert kit in the garbage.
Lymphocystis typically spreads a bit before going away, and that typically takes around six weeks.
Your copper level is right around the proper dose for copper power, so keep it right there for at least 14 days, not to treat this symptom, but to keep more serious issues from cropping up.
Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back