Royal gramma hates my six line wrasse!

DAniel559

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Royal gramma is being very territorial towards my six line wrasse only.
I've had the royal gramma for almost 2 months.
This started about two days ago it's gotten to the point where my royal gramma is even missing pieces of its fin from the wrasse fighting back.
It even chases the wrasse across the tank.
Will this be sorted out or should I go ahead and move one to the sump for now?

40 breeder
two clowns, Royal gramma, firefish, 6 line wrasse

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My royal gramma and 6 line get into it frequently. Like several times a day. But it is only when the 6 line comes near the royal grammas territory. It’s amusing to watch the gramma open it’s mouth wide like it’s yelling at the 6 line. Nothing ever happens, and the 6 line eventually moves on... from what I have seen, it doesn’t seem like it will go away. Mine have been doing this for months. But my tank has a lot more room. The 6 line goes everywhere, searching in and around the rocks, but my gramma doesn’t stray far from it’s rock cave in the center of my tank. And mine don’t chase, it’s more of a stand-off. And since neither fish is being hurt, I find it amusing, and would love to get a picture of the gramma with its mouth wide open. I’m afraid you will probably have to intervene...

Mrmiles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar experiences but less severe. I added the sixline last in the hopes of avoiding aggression but no such luck.

OP
OP
DAniel559

DAniel559

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My royal gramma and 6 line get into it frequently. Like several times a day. But it is only when the 6 line comes near the royal grammas territory. It’s amusing to watch the gramma open it’s mouth wide like it’s yelling at the 6 line. Nothing ever happens, and the 6 line eventually moves on... from what I have seen, it doesn’t seem like it will go away. Mine have been doing this for months. But my tank has a lot more room. The 6 line goes everywhere, searching in and around the rocks, but my gramma doesn’t stray far from it’s rock cave in the center of my tank. And mine don’t chase, it’s more of a stand-off. And since neither fish is being hurt, I find it amusing, and would love to get a picture of the gramma with its mouth wide open. I’m afraid you will probably have to intervene...
i reworked the rockscape hopefully that helps a bit. If not ill try and get one once lights are off.

SaltyDog67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend removing the 6 line ASAP! He will eventually kill the Royal Gramma and start sizing up his next victim which will probably be the Firefish, before he works his way and starts harassing the clowns and adding them to the hit list until hes the only thing left in the tank. The 6 line is great for taking care of pests on the reef but he will consider a 40 gallon as his entire territory. I have a 32 biocube with 50 lbs of live rock and plenty of hiding spots and my 6 line killed my Royal Gramma and Snowflake Clown and was constantly harassing my Yellow Watchman Goby. Needless to say, mine went back to the LFS before he killed my Goby and he's been replaced with another Clown and a Purple Firefish, which now live happily with the watchman. Beautiful fish but they are well known for their territorial aggression. Good luck with your decision and keep us posted with the outcome.

OP
OP
DAniel559

DAniel559

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend removing the 6 line ASAP! He will eventually kill the Royal Gramma and start sizing up his next victim which will probably be the Firefish, before he works his way and starts harassing the clowns and adding them to the hit list until hes the only thing left in the tank. The 6 line is great for taking care of pests on the reef but he will consider a 40 gallon as his entire territory. I have a 32 biocube with 50 lbs of live rock and plenty of hiding spots and my 6 line killed my Royal Gramma and Snowflake Clown and was constantly harassing my Yellow Watchman Goby. Needless to say, mine went back to the LFS before he killed my Goby and he's been replaced with another Clown and a Purple Firefish, which now live happily with the watchman. Beautiful fish but they are well known for their territorial aggression. Good luck with your decision and keep us posted with the outcome.
Yeah its been almost a week and the aggression stopped after the rescape. That being said i'm trying to find away to catch the 6 line and take it to the lsf don't want to risk it.

SaltyDog67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah its been almost a week and the aggression stopped after the rescape. That being said i'm trying to find away to catch the 6 line and take it to the lsf don't want to risk it.
Trust me, that's probably the best call...I tried to risk it thinking the aggression would subside and territories would be established since I had plenty of rock, but his need to be on the move constantly searching out every crack and crevice in the tank made that impossible in 32. The last straw for me was the clown, which didn't really have territory othe rockwork as most clowns hang on the outskirts of the reef anyway. Unfortunately the 6 line is going to be hard to catch! Be prepared to remove the majority of your live rock in order to catch that little rascal. I had to remove 90% of mine and the only way I caught him was from him swimming into a hole in a piece of live rock and luckily I was able to pull the rock and transfer him before he escaped lol. I tried coaxing him with food in hopes to net him but no such luck, and a trap didn't work either. Good luck with the fishing expedition, your other fish will thank you in the end.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me, that's probably the best call...I tried to risk it thinking the aggression would subside and territories would be established since I had plenty of rock, but his need to be on the move constantly searching out every crack and crevice in the tank made that impossible in 32. The last straw for me was the clown, which didn't really have territory othe rockwork as most clowns hang on the outskirts of the reef anyway. Unfortunately the 6 line is going to be hard to catch! Be prepared to remove the majority of your live rock in order to catch that little rascal. I had to remove 90% of mine and the only way I caught him was from him swimming into a hole in a piece of live rock and luckily I was able to pull the rock and transfer him before he escaped lol. I tried coaxing him with food in hopes to net him but no such luck, and a trap didn't work either. Good luck with the fishing expedition, your other fish will thank you in the end.
Hmm. Interesting. That must be the key to keeping a 6 line is to make sure it has enough space. The one in my tank doesn't bother anyone, except the occasional spat with my gramma. But he has 180 gallons to roam, and mine is the smallest fish in my tank. But like you said, he his constantly prowling my rockwork in search of pods / worms or whatever. So I didn't really get everyone saying the 6 line is the meanest fish they've ever owned. I just haven't seen that side. They must like lots of room to roam and then they're fine. Even though they are a small fish that could easily fit into a 40 gallon or smaller, perhaps the retailers should put a minimum tank size of like 75 gallons (or whatever), so that they have enough territory that they don't think the whole tank is their territory.

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200 gallon and wanted a six line and royal gramma and when i asked my LFS owner to order me both he laughed at me and said it wouldn't be worth it. He's told a number of people this before, some didn't listen and brought back one of the fish often the six line haha.

I have a royal gramma and it can sometimes be a jerk to my canary wrasse. It tried to scare off my two new skunk cleaner shrimp who were hanging upside down on the rock outside its 'cave'. It lost and the shrimp are still there 2 weeks later. It mustn't see them as a threat and must like the 'antennae tickles'.....

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Royal Gramma dosent bother my Melanurus, but maybe because hes so much bigger. The Melanurus could care less about the other fish in the tank, he just keeps his nose to the rocks all day looking for snacks lol.

SaltyDog67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Interesting. That must be the key to keeping a 6 line is to make sure it has enough space. The one in my tank doesn't bother anyone, except the occasional spat with my gramma. But he has 180 gallons to roam, and mine is the smallest fish in my tank. But like you said, he his constantly prowling my rockwork in search of pods / worms or whatever. So I didn't really get everyone saying the 6 line is the meanest fish they've ever owned. I just haven't seen that side. They must like lots of room to roam and then they're fine. Even though they are a small fish that could easily fit into a 40 gallon or smaller, perhaps the retailers should put a minimum tank size of like 75 gallons (or whatever), so that they have enough territory that they don't think the whole tank is their territory.
Yeah, I think space is the key...as well as size and maturity of the fish. My first 6 line was small and only about an inch + and it was taken out by a yellow tail damsel which are suppose to be less aggressive damsels. Nope, he thought the 32gal was his and his alone. That $10 damsel managed to stress and kill over $100 worth of fish until I decided he had to go. Unfortunately I replaced him with the next 6 line wrasse which was a mature adult that stuffed himself on the reef buffet and then decided to take out all the tank mates much like the yellow tail. Both are gone and my reef inhabitants are now happy and stress free without the serial killers on the loose, lol.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, recommendations like SaltyDog's are why I didnt get a Six Line. If you are looking for alternative nano wrasses I would absolutely look at a Pink Streaked or Possum Wrasse. I bought my Pink Streaked and love it, all of the coloration and none of the aggression.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SaltyDog67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, recommendations like SaltyDog's are why I didnt get a Six Line. If you are looking for alternative nano wrasses I would absolutely look at a Pink Streaked or Possum Wrasse. I bought my Pink Streaked and love it, all of the coloration and none of the aggression.
Im waiting to find a Pink Streaked locally to replace the 6 line for pest control. All the research Ive done said they are not aggressive at all, so its good to hear another positive review before I purchase.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is awesome, I had a flatworm break out and used flatworm exit to get rid of them. Seemed to work but they would come back and then disappear over time. I found out they were living in my refugium that I made in chamber 2 of my biocube and I'm quite certain they are just being snacks for my PSW. I rarely see them in the display but when I pull my filter media tray they are in there.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back