Royal gramma on the ropes! Help me save it!

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My royal gramma started to act funny yesterday and I was hoping it was just one off. Unfortunately that's not the case. Grammas obviously love to hide and hang out in the rock work and yesterday he came out in the open and played dead at the corner of the tank. No labored breathing or rapid breathing as of yet. Looking closer it seems that some of his fins have receded a bit and he's got a white circle where his tailfin meets his body. The circle is maybe half the size of a pea and looks more like white damaged tissue. Nothing visual by the gills or anything else yet. To top it off my phone camera got smashed at work and is beat for now. Any suggestions on immediate course of actions or follow up questions that might help diagnose the problem. He's definitely everyones favorite and hope to keep it that way.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your description, it sounds like possibly Fin and Tail Rot which is a bacterial infection. Triple Sulfa (aka Sulfaplex) is a wide spectrum antibiotic that should help the fish's immune system to fight the infection. It's not reef safe so needs a QT to treat.

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your description, it sounds like possibly Fin and Tail Rot which is a bacterial infection. Triple Sulfa (aka Sulfaplex) is a wide spectrum antibiotic that should help the fish's immune system to fight the infection. It's not reef safe so needs a QT to treat.
That may be in concert with flukes. There might actually be a translucent orb near gill mouth. I've been staring so long im not sure. Having a hard time catching him at the moment.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back