Royal Gramma Velvet?

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw some spots on my Royal gramma. It’s had ich before and they were larger but these are much smaller spots and many more spots. He’s also breathing pretty heavily I did do a freshwater/rodi dip for 5 mins today. But as soon as I noticed it I put him in my qt tank.
It’s Sunday of course and nothings open but should I do copper treatment or what should I do?

thank you for your time

B4728EC6-94AA-429F-BCA8-204841981618.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4908.MOV
    20 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I cannot see the movie. The rapid breathing suggests something like velvet - as do the smaller spots that you describe. When I enlarge the picture - the spots I see suggest Ich. Did you just add something to your tank - and yes I would treat with copper - unless you can think of a reason it might be flukes - again - unfortunately - I can't see the picture well - or the movie at all.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI water is a terrible dip unless its been ph balanced. Tap water is a better choice. Softened is best. It looks like ich.

OP
OP
C

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the best picture I could get without grabbing myDSLR

the movie uploaded but I could DM it to you maybe I’ll try that.

I haven’t added anything new in a couple of weeks. 2 weeks ago I bought some coral from my lfs where I also bought this fish very reputable and he was in copper when I bought him.
He’s been super funny and loves hiding in the strangest holes in my tank. I sure hope he doesn’t die poor 8 bit

OP
OP
C

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the video trying one more time

Attachments

• IMG_4908.MOV
    20 MB

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd treat with copper power ASAP.

unfortunately, royal grammas are very parasite prone.

Movie plays fine. looks like ICH to me.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here’s the video trying one more time
Based on size of nodules, this is ich and Im puzzled as there has been a whole array of grtammas over the last 30 days with ich.
This fish will need to be isolated and treated in a quarantine tank for the parasite. Additional problem is. . . the other occupants in the tank have been exposed to parasite and too should be treated.
Best treatment would be coppersafe or general cure with coppersafe my choice at therapuetic level 2.25-2.5 monitored with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand, not Api
Also monitor ammonia level with a reliable test kit during treatment and would not be a bad idea to add an air stone for added oxygen during treatment
You will also need to leave display tank FishLess (Fallow) for at least 6-8 weeks to assure the cysts and trophants have completed their life cycle without a host and have died off

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd treat with copper power ASAP.

unfortunately, royal grammas are very parasite prone.

Movie plays fine. looks like ICH to me.
On some MAC computers - and phones the movies do not work. It's best to use Youtube.

And I agree with you - assuming its 'only' Ich - the rapid breathing would signify a more severe case (OR - the fish has ICH and velvet - since he says he sees smaller spots) - either way - copper would be the way to go.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might not be much help but I have had a number of RGs over many years in the hobby. Whenever I put a RG in a tank it will get itch and will scratch against the sand and reefscape. After 36 hours all spots have gone with no other fish in the tank showing any signs of itch.

So why would that be? Some. will say it's not itch in the first place but I have been in the hobby long enough to spot itch after all during the first 10 years in the hobby my fish would get itch. I have also seen it in others tanks but not mine for the last 30 years or so and with a number of tanks.

I have never QTd, don't believe in it and never had a serious outbreak of any disease in about 9 tanks in the last 30 years. I have bought fish from many different LFSs some many wouldnt buy from.

So whats the secret, is there a secret? Well no not at all. I have written many times on how I keep my reef, controversially for some but the results speak for themselves.

Want to know more? Just search my posts on here as I have posted often enough. Bored of me ramblings fine just move on and do your own thing.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might not be much help but I have had a number of RGs over many years in the hobby. Whenever I put a RG in a tank it will get itch and will scratch against the sand and reefscape. After 36 hours all spots have gone with no other fish in the tank showing any signs of itch.

So why would that be? Some. will say it's not itch in the first place but I have been in the hobby long enough to spot itch after all during the first 10 years in the hobby my fish would get itch. I have also seen it in others tanks but not mine for the last 30 years or so and with a number of tanks.

I have never QTd, don't believe in it and never had a serious outbreak of any disease in about 9 tanks in the last 30 years. I have bought fish from many different LFSs some many wouldnt buy from.

So whats the secret, is there a secret? Well no not at all. I have written many times on how I keep my reef, controversially for some but the results speak for themselves.

Want to know more? Just search my posts on here as I have posted often enough. Bored of me ramblings fine just move on and do your own thing.
Hi atoll, you must be very lucky. In the last 2 years, I have lost fish in QT due to Ich, velvet, brook and uronema. I thank God I had not placed them in my DT. I have just given up entirely trying to have an Agile or Vanderbilt Chromis because 3 separate purchases have died with uronema. I had to put down a Vanderbilt two days ago. #atoll

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw some spots on my Royal gramma. It’s had ich before and they were larger but these are much smaller spots and many more spots. He’s also breathing pretty heavily I did do a freshwater/rodi dip for 5 mins today. But as soon as I noticed it I put him in my qt tank.
It’s Sunday of course and nothings open but should I do copper treatment or what should I do?

thank you for your time

B4728EC6-94AA-429F-BCA8-204841981618.jpeg
Suggest you also purchase Hydroplex and give your fish a 10 minute saltwater dip. It is low stress and will kill the bugs on them and give relief. The long term treatment in Copper Power or Cupramine will still need to be done. Make sure you add some PVC pipe to your hospital tank to give him a place to hide.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi atoll, you must be very lucky. In the last 2 years, I have lost fish in QT due to Ich, velvet, brook and uronema. I thank God I had not placed them in my DT. I have just given up entirely trying to have an Agile or Vanderbilt Chromis because 3 separate purchases have died with uronema. I had to put down a Vanderbilt two days ago. #atoll
I can assure you after so many years without a single major outbreak of any disease it's far from luck, nobody could be so lucky.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I think the answers lie somewhere here:

1. Source of fish
2. Stocking density
3. Health of received fish.
4. Your location in Great Britain.

Most of the fish arriving the US are stressed, etc etc etc. Also - I assume (key word - assume) we have a higher stocking density - which makes parasites a problem. My guess is most of the fish to Europe come from different sources and are shipped faster than to the USA.

There is no magic here. If a fish is healthy - it will probably survive. If it's in horrible condition - it probably will not IMHO. Much appreciated @atoll

BTW - I do not think it has anything to do with how you keep your reef - instead - its how the people we import from keep their fish

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the answers lie somewhere here:

1. Source of fish
2. Stocking density
3. Health of received fish.
4. Your location in Great Britain.

Most of the fish arriving the US are stressed, etc etc etc. Also - I assume (key word - assume) we have a higher stocking density - which makes parasites a problem. My guess is most of the fish to Europe come from different sources and are shipped faster than to the USA.

There is no magic here. If a fish is healthy - it will probably survive. If it's in horrible condition - it probably will not IMHO. Much appreciated @atoll

BTW - I do not think it has anything to do with how you keep your reef - instead - its how the people we import from keep their fish

Sorry I have to disagree. While I appreciate your view I think it more to do with how I keep my tank along with equipment I use, the foods I feed and the additives I add to it to keep my fish in tip top health.

My tank is heavily stocked, some would say overstocked with fish.
Much of our fish come from Indonesia but also the Caribbean and other countries further afield.
I have bought fish from LFSs that have far from a good reputation.

I also have fish that are not considered the easiest to keep free of disease, copperband, mimic tang Royal grammas among others.
I also consider the environment I create an important factor keeping stress low and so on. My oxydator I consider an important part helping to keep diseases at bay along with the above.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry I have to disagree. While I appreciate your view I think it more to do with how I keep my tank along with equipment I use, the foods I feed and the additives I add to it to keep my fish in tip top health.

Much of our fish come from Indonesia but also the Caribbean and other countries further afield.

I also have fish that are not considered the easiest to keep free of disease, copperband, mimic tang Royal grammas among others.
I also consider the environment I create an important factor keeping stress low and so on. My oxydator I consider an important part helping to keep diseases at bay along with the above.
My problem with this is - if you took a totally sick fish - would it thrive - IDK - maybe. Your source of fish is totally different than in the USA - its hard to generalize. I totally believe your success - and I totally believe those that use your methods and do not succeed - and their methods

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Can you list your fish - the issue - to me - is surface area where parasites can attack. And also the species - For example Paul shows his pipefish - which has a much less surface area than an emperor angel.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Sorry - I forgot to mention/ask - could you tell everyone your stocking method - as @Lasse has - i.e. - he puts the fish in the sump, etc etc?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem with this is - if you took a totally sick fish - would it thrive - IDK - maybe. Your source of fish is totally different than in the USA - its hard to generalize. I totally believe your success - and I totally believe those that use your methods and do not succeed - and their methods
I don't know if I have put a sick fish in my tank, I may have. However I am 100% certain I have put fish in with parasites like itch hence the reason Royal grammas will always break out with itch at first.

I would say it's almost impossible to buy every fish that either isn't starting with some form of illnesses in the last 3o years with so many tanks and fish on that time not having an illness or infected with a few parasite.

Even the best of shops here in the UK can't guarantee their fish are 100% healthy and very few QT them relying on the wholesaler for such not that they get much in the way if QT when there.

You will be familiar Paul Bs long tank thread and his thoughts and experiences on QT and disease. I practice similar but not ID to his methods as I found out many years ago.

BTW I have friends here in the UK who keep their tanks similar to the way I do with similar results. However, I agree although there should be no reason why others shouldn't be successful using my methods not all would. The reason for that is some will deviate from the core methods I use.

When people succeed in this hobby by whatever methods they use they have nothing to prove. However I do put lots of photographs and videos of my tank up for all to see and scrutinies.

I do get fish deaths from time to time usually within the first week of introduction. I believe drug caught fish are still with us unfortunately.

Most my fish spawn those that don't are either immature like my 4 African flameback angels but also my single copperband and mimic tang which I have more to do a job of work in the tank. My Riyal grammas spawn along with my damsels, clowns and so on.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know if I have put a sick fish in my tank, I may have. However I am 100% certain I have put fish in with parasites like itch hence the reason Royal grammas will always break out with itch at first.

I would say it's almost impossible to buy every fish that either isn't starting with some form of illnesses in the last 3o years with so many tanks and fish on that time not having an illness or infected with a few parasite.

Even the best of shops here in the UK can't guarantee their fish are 100% healthy and very few QT them relying on the wholesaler for such not that they get much in the way if QT when there.

You will be familiar Paul Bs long tank thread and his thoughts and experiences on QT and disease. I practice similar but not ID to his methods as I found out many years ago.

BTW I have friends here in the UK who keep their tanks similar to the way I do with similar results. However, I agree although there should be no reason why others shouldn't be successful using my methods not all would. The reason for that is some will deviate from the core methods I use.

When people succeed in this hobby by whatever methods they use they have nothing to prove. However I do put lots of photographs and videos of my tank up for all to see and scrutinies.

I do get fish deaths from time to time usually within the first week of introduction. I believe drug caught fish are still with us unfortunately.

Most my fish spawn those that don't are either immature like my 4 African flameback angels but also my single copperband and mimic tang which I have more to do a job of work in the tank. My Riyal grammas spawn along with my damsels, clowns and so on.
I am not aware of a post of your 'protocol' - which would be interesting to me

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you list your fish - the issue - to me - is surface area where parasites can attack. And also the species - For example Paul shows his pipefish - which has a much less surface area than an emperor angel.
I have the following.
Pair of common clowns.
4 African flameback pigmy angels inc
3 females and a male.
Pair of midas blennies.
Pair of firefish
Pair of Royal grammas
Pair of black leopard wrasse.
3 yellow assessors
Pair of silver sand sifting gobbies
7 springers damsels
A copperband butterfly
A mimic tang.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back