Royal Gramma Velvet?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw some spots on my Royal gramma. It’s had ich before and they were larger but these are much smaller spots and many more spots. He’s also breathing pretty heavily I did do a freshwater/rodi dip for 5 mins today. But as soon as I noticed it I put him in my qt tank.
It’s Sunday of course and nothings open but should I do copper treatment or what should I do?

thank you for your time

B4728EC6-94AA-429F-BCA8-204841981618.jpeg
I got the video to play. The fish is breathing fast but also really deeply. Are there other fish in the tank? Are they all ok? Ich doesn’t cause rapid breathing until the very end. If the other fish are fine we can rule out water quality issues. That leaves flukes or velvet. The FW dip will buy you a bit of time either way.
As mentioned, copper power or coppersafe in a treatment tank would be the way to go here. The fish will also need a Prazipro treatment to handle flukes.
Jay

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I forgot to mention/ask - could you tell everyone your stocking method - as @Lasse has - i.e. - he puts the fish in the sump, etc etc?
I simply float the bag for 10 to 15 mins.
Pour the bag with fish into a net discarding the bag water and release the fish directly into the DT.

OP
OP
C

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waking up this morning and a quick look at 8 bit and he doesn’t appear to have anything on his body now.

He ate a little bit and is just scared in the qt tank.

OP
OP
C

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the video to play. The fish is breathing fast but also really deeply. Are there other fish in the tank? Are they all ok? Ich doesn’t cause rapid breathing until the very end. If the other fish are fine we can rule out water quality issues. That leaves flukes or velvet. The FW dip will buy you a bit of time either way.
As mentioned, copper power or coppersafe in a treatment tank would be the way to go here. The fish will also need a Prazipro treatment to handle flukes.
Jay
The rest of the fish inhabitants are

2 clownfish black with white spots
1 cleaner shrimp
1 dragonet
Snails and corals and anemones.

the two clowns have not show any signs of anything

also the dragonet has not either.

I woke up this morning to see 8 bit the Royal gramma without anything on his body at all. Hes hiding a bit but that’s all I can see. I’m going to capture him in a clear glass and get some better photos.
If he doesn’t have anything on his body now should I put him back in the tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rest of the fish inhabitants are

2 clownfish black with white spots
1 cleaner shrimp
1 dragonet
Snails and corals and anemones.

the two clowns have not show any signs of anything

also the dragonet has not either.

I woke up this morning to see 8 bit the Royal gramma without anything on his body at all. Hes hiding a bit but that’s all I can see. I’m going to capture him in a clear glass and get some better photos.
If he doesn’t have anything on his body now should I put him back in the tank?
It is really common for ich to come and go when it is first starting up, the parasites are all in sync at first. The spots may come back in a day or two. You may have a mixed infection. I’d still consider a copper treatment.

Jay

OP
OP
C

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw some spots on my Royal gramma. It’s had ich before and they were larger but these are much smaller spots and many more spots. He’s also breathing pretty heavily I did do a freshwater/rodi dip for 5 mins today. But as soon as I noticed it I put him in my qt tank.
It’s Sunday of course and nothings open but should I do copper treatment or what should I do?

thank you for your time

B4728EC6-94AA-429F-BCA8-204841981618.jpeg
Some photos from today like 5 mins ago. and a short video. Is this ich? is this velvet? is this just abrasions from him swiming in the rock? Also noted he is missing part of his tail that he wasnt missing last night.

Attachments

• 5E9A4866.mp4
    17.2 MB
  • 5E9A4854.jpg
    5E9A4854.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 26
  • 5E9A4855.jpg
    5E9A4855.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 5E9A4858-2.jpg
    5E9A4858-2.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 20
  • 5E9A4859-2.jpg
    5E9A4859-2.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 19

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see the rapid breathing that goes along with velvet. The last couple of photos look like ich. The tail fin may be a secondary bacterial infection and that is going to complicate matters. I think all of the fish are going to need a coppersafe treatment in a QT.
Jay

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back