Royal Gramma's keep dying.

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on my third Royal Gramma in the past couple months and it looks like its about to die too. After a few days they all look like they have damage to their sides.

Currently i have a 6 line and a clown that have been doing great for about a year but every time i try to add a royal gramma they die.

Anyone have an idea of what could cause this?

salinity - 35ppm
temp - 79f

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you ever see any aggression from your 6 line or the clown?

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, havent seen anything like that. The clown normally stays at the top of the tank and the 6 line is always behind a rock, the royal gramma keeps to its self at one end of the tank.

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what i had read a 6 line should get along fine with the fish, also this gramma is a lot bigger than the 6 line if that makes a difference.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what i had read a 6 line should get along fine with the fish, also this gramma is a lot bigger than the 6 line if that makes a difference.

Six-lines can be nasty. Mine took out a yellow assessor and our royal gramma and it was about half the size.

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six-lines can be nasty. Mine took out a yellow assessor and our royal gramma and it was about half the size.
And it probably doesnt help that they're all in a 20 gallon tank. Any suggestions on what fish will live with the 6 line and clown i have now? I was thinking of adding a orange storm or absolute zero frostbite clown.

Gorilla4200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on my third Royal Gramma in the past couple months and it looks like its about to die too. After a few days they all look like they have damage to their sides.

Currently i have a 6 line and a clown that have been doing great for about a year but every time i try to add a royal gramma they die.

salinity - 35ppm
temp - 79f
I am having the same problem. I just had one die with what looked like it had damage to it's side. Lasted 2 days. The one before it died the first night. No other fish in the tank. Just corals,snails, scarlet hermit crab, lots of huge amphipods, mini brittlestar
Parameters of water were pretty normal.
Ammonia was a little high around .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0-5
Phos .5-1.0
Clown fish was good for a few months before I traded him in for the second royal,.which looked unharmed at the store. It looked like it was gonna heal and was starting to move around, then just died on the second night.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 line for sure.They hit fish so hard on their sides, it knocks the scales and color right off the fish.

IndyMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookup bacterial infections and possibly uronema. Not sure if Royal Gramma are susceptible to uronema or not but it is bad stuff. Typically it affects Anthias and especially Chromis.

I would bet the sixline is causing the issue. They are known to be aggressive.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally. I’ll never again have a 6 line in any of my tanks.
What type of clown do you have... many types of clowns can be very aggressive

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six line. One of the most unpredictable fish. Due to aggression tank size is a major factor. Also when and how you introduce the fish will make a huge difference. Most would generally add the six line last, they will also harass and kill anything that is added to the tank after. I had a six line long ago where it was just a peaceful community fish for about 2 years. Then one day it snapped and started really attacking other fish who were almost double it’s size. Although it is one of the most beautiful fish....Never again.

Gorilla4200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six line. One of the most unpredictable fish. Due to aggression tank size is a major factor. Also when and how you introduce the fish will make a huge difference. Most would generally add the six line last, they will also harass and kill anything that is added to the tank after. I had a six line long ago where it was just a peaceful community fish for about 2 years. Then one day it snapped and started really attacking other fish who were almost double it’s size. Although it is one of the most beautiful fish....Never again.

The lfs told me that it might be salinity issue. I'm around .24-.25 for my corals

The fish apparently like it around .20-.22
They said an hour drop acclimate.
They also said the fish they get are shipped at .17 salt

Gorilla4200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

salinity - 35ppm
temp - 79f
My lfs said they like salt around .20-.22
My Tak is at .25 and the gammas just die in a day. They said drip acclimated for 1 hour

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back