Royal pencil wrasse wants to escape

mihaieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I bought yesterday a royal pencil wrasse. It was an impulse buy after I googled the fish in the store. I acclimatize and put it in the tank about 2 hours before the lights went off. Nobody in the tank pay attention (I also have a blue throat fairy wrasse, pink margin fairy wrasse, yellow coris, 6line wrasse, yellow tang and copperband). It did not eat and went to explore the tank. It did not go in the sand (I have black Hawaiian sand that hosted melanaurus wrasse, yellow coris wrasse and leopard wrasse before). In the middle of the night I checked on him and he was swimming at the top of the aquarium quite agitated. Today he was sitting in the same spot on the bottom of the the tank ( a inch above the sand) He ate hikari mysis. Tonight again he did not go in the sand and he is swimming at the top but also jumps above out of the water. I have net on top so he won’t go anywhere but from what I have read he was supposed to sleep in the sand.
Is it possible he doesn’t like the black sand ( I believe is not very popular choice in the hobby)?
Is it a normal behaviour for a new pencil wrasse?
All the other sand sleeper wrasse I kept would go in the sand from the first night.
Thank you!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I bought yesterday a royal pencil wrasse. It was an impulse buy after I googled the fish in the store. I acclimatize and put it in the tank about 2 hours before the lights went off. Nobody in the tank pay attention (I also have a blue throat fairy wrasse, pink margin fairy wrasse, yellow coris, 6line wrasse, yellow tang and copperband). It did not eat and went to explore the tank. It did not go in the sand (I have black Hawaiian sand that hosted melanaurus wrasse, yellow coris wrasse and leopard wrasse before). In the middle of the night I checked on him and he was swimming at the top of the aquarium quite agitated. Today he was sitting in the same spot on the bottom of the the tank ( a inch above the sand) He ate hikari mysis. Tonight again he did not go in the sand and he is swimming at the top but also jumps above out of the water. I have net on top so he won’t go anywhere but from what I have read he was supposed to sleep in the sand.
Is it possible he doesn’t like the black sand ( I believe is not very popular choice in the hobby)?
Is it a normal behaviour for a new pencil wrasse?
All the other sand sleeper wrasse I kept would go in the sand from the first night.
Thank you!

Looks like you picked a tough to acclimate species.

Good Luck!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back