RS NoPoX contains molybdenum???

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was warned by some local Triton method users that NoPoX used for few months build up the molybdenum level in tanks to a toxic level. Normally I don't test this, but I was really surprised to find it.
Opinions??

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have heard that too.
All though I don't use it and never has it might be a problem for hobbyist that sometimes using it as I always say the easy way out high nutrients level.
Let's shine some light on this with @Randy Holmes-Farley and the [HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG]

OP
OP
dacianb

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have heard that too.
All though I don't use it and never has it might be a problem for hobbyist that sometimes using it as I always say the easy way out high nutrients level.
Let's shine some light on this with @Randy Holmes-Farley and the [HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG]

Once more the easy way is not the best way. I am using this and had great results and so easy to use (actually always postponed my algae scrubber / fuge system due to this). Why should I work to build new stuff when I can just drop some liquids in tank and have great results??? :eek: But now I am a bit scared...

sticky polyps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to hear more about this. I use a homebrew nopox (1 part vodka 2 parts vinegar). I am interested in molybdenum and how dangerous it could really be. I use fuel for AAs and I know there is molybdenum in that as well. good topic!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Molybdenum is in all salt mixes that I'm aware of (and been tested) at levels above natural sea water. I'll see if I can find the article about ions in seawater and get back to you.

What level of Mo did they find?

EDIT TO ADD:

Found it! HERE'S an article on "Elemental composition of commercial seasalts." Check page 41 for the Moly numbers.

Natural seawater has a level of 0.1, while the salts tested ranged from 1.8 to 3.3 milliequivalents per liter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dacianb

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Molybdenum is in all salt mixes that I'm aware of (and been tested) at levels above natural sea water. I'll see if I can find the article about ions in seawater and get back to you.

What level of Mo did they find?

EDIT TO ADD:

Found it! HERE'S an article on "Elemental composition of commercial seasalts." Check page 41 for the Moly numbers.

Natural seawater has a level of 0.1, while the salts tested ranged from 1.8 to 3.3 milliequivalents per liter.
Thanks redfishbluefish.
They didnt told me numbers, but agreed that after 6 months of Nopox, Molybdenum reached "toxic levels" and they stopped (I think Triton users really monitor such chemicals, we, regular users never do).
Honestly I not even knew that there are Molybdenum tests on market :rolleyes: until today

sticky polyps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this element in question something that would be consumed by coral? if not I would be worried about it getting to harmful levels as well. anyone know what a dangerous lvl would be? thinking about switching to acropower for AAs...

OP
OP
dacianb

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this element in question something that would be consumed by coral? if not I would be worried about it getting to harmful levels as well. anyone know what a dangerous lvl would be? thinking about switching to acropower for AAs...
no, is not coral food, but a commercial NO3 reduction method similar with vodka dosing (supposedly safer)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know what metals NOPOX has in it, and I've not seen any analysis of the metals part of NOPOX, but it does claim to have some:

http://www.redseafish.com/reef-care-program/algae-management-program/no3po4-x/

from it:

"The Red Sea NO3: PO4-X complex includes other organic-bonded elements that are important stimulators in each stage of the reduction process. These metal and non-metals elements ensure steady bacterial propagation, complete nitrate reduction to nitrogen gas as well as the absorption and utilization of phosphate by the bacteria."

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All organisms need molybdenum, and photosynthetic organisms that do not get it from foods must get it from the water. :)

I do not intentionally supplement molybdenum, and my Triton testing showed it to be low.

http://www.reefedition.com/my-triton-testing-results-by-randy-holmes-farley/

OP
OP
dacianb

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All organisms need molybdenum, and photosynthetic organisms that do not get it from foods must get it from the water. :)

I do not intentionally supplement molybdenum, and my Triton testing showed it to be low.

http://www.reefedition.com/my-triton-testing-results-by-randy-holmes-farley/
Thanks, but do you add Nopox to system?
Agree that molybdenum have to be there in certain concentration, but what if can build up to dangerous levels?? I am really bad at chemistry (didnt like since school :rolleyes: ) but at least I know that lot of important elements , good for different organisms and functions can become pure poison in larger quantities.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that molybdenum have to be there in certain concentration, but what if can build up to dangerous levels?? I am really bad at chemistry (didnt like since school :rolleyes: ) but at least I know that lot of important elements , good for different organisms and functions can become pure poison in larger quantities.

No, I do not use NOPOX. I use vinegar. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just plain white vinegar? Same dosing procedure as vodka?

Similar. It is 8-fold more dilute, so you dose more.

Also, while all organic carbon dosing reduces pH, vinegar does it more initially and less later while vodka does it all later after it is converted into CO2.

So you need to keep the pH effects in mind and there are a variety of tricks to that, such as dosing slowly during the day with a dosing pump, or manual dosing with vinegar saturated with calcium hydroxide. :)

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I had my triton test done on my tank molyb was not out of wack. I use nopox.
Lots of naysayers here about it, but it's formulated by a team of people and has multitudes of scrutiny over the years. Check out reviews, many of them had bad experiences with vodka, vinegar, biopellets, etc.

OP
OP
dacianb

dacianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried vodka and vinegar in the past and almost ruined the tank. With nopox was fine until i heard about molyb.
Maybe regular water changes keep it diluted? As triton dont change water ☺

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once more the easy way is not the best way. I am using this and had great results and so easy to use (actually always postponed my algae scrubber / fuge system due to this). Why should I work to build new stuff when I can just drop some liquids in tank and have great results??? :eek: But now I am a bit scared...

Yup, why would you?
I see hobbyist who have build them a Algae Scrubber save money long term and once a while they feed their Tangs some much healthy harvest algae which save money on food again plus you won't have any worries of a chemical in your tank that you don't know what's in there.

Thank you @Randy Holmes-Farley for the info for this hobbyist.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FWIW, when I say mine was low, it was low enough that it might be useful to supplement since it was less than 1/4 of the NSW value.

So if there is molybdenum in NOPOX (I have no idea one way or the other), that might have been useful (assuming it was there is an appropriate amount to supplement and not over supplement my tank). :)

MikeyAl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am gonna stick with PO3:NO4 from Red Sea. Sure I pay a bit more than using vodka or vinegar. And okay molybdenum- but I have been using for a long time and I like the results.

Back