RSK-300 Skimmer recirculating CO2 scrubber cap (3D printed)

TheLost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been struggling with CO2 since i've started working from home. With the addition of me and my co-worker (80lb English Bulldog) in the same room, the tank has been averaging ~7.8 ph.

With my CO2 scrubber, i'm burn through the media at an alarming $$$ rate... so i decided to try a recirculating scrubber setup.

My original plan was to drill a hole into the skimmer cap on my RSK-300 but it's impossible to find a replacement/sacrificial cap, and Red Sea won't email me back when i asked if replacement caps are available.

So.. I had to think outside the box... and this is what i came up with:
skimmer-cap.png

It sits on top of the skimmer cap and 'clips' in place on the two small holes on the cap handle. I ordered a gasket that will fit in a groove (not on the render above) that should make it more air tight... but right now it seems nice and snug so maybe i don't need it. (I'll post an update once its been running longer).

You can see the holes it clips into on this picture (not my image)
rsskimmer5_2.jpg

The way the red sea cap is designed seems to allow enough air to pull in from those holes.. and it makes a 'bubble barrier' stopping junk from getting sucked into the scrubber airline. The hose intake is high enough above the little pocket, that if any liquid gets pulled in, it will just run back out the holes. In theory, since I haven't forced a skimmer overflow yet :)

skimmer-cap-2.jpg

It's been running for about a day now... It will be interesting to see if it helps reduce the cost of CO2 media for me.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the routing goes from the skimmer cup -> CO2 scrubber -> air inlet? Good idea :)

I assume the skimmer cup isn't totally air tight to allow for air lost to still be pulled back in and not form a vacuum?

OP
OP
TheLost

TheLost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the routing goes from the skimmer cup -> CO2 scrubber -> air inlet? Good idea :)

I assume the skimmer cup isn't totally air tight to allow for air lost to still be pulled back in and not form a vacuum?

Yea.. its the same priciple as this old(ish) thread:

After watching the BRS Youtube videos on recirculating scrubbers i thought i'd give it a try. Until i get a cup or cap i can mess around with this seemed like the best solution.

OP
OP
TheLost

TheLost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.. While the smaller 'snap-on' cap i made worked OK, i decided to just make a larger cover that fits over the entire lid. This basically covers up all the air vents and makes it harder for outside air to get sucked into the system.

The downside is now i need to add a valve so the pH doesn't go up too high (+8.5).

skimmer_cap.jpg

(waiting on my red PETG to show up :D )
skimmer_cap2.jpg

Ls7corvete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much media are you using in a month or so? I have plenty of used media from diving....hhhmmm.

OP
OP
TheLost

TheLost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm replacing the canister (~1lb of soda lime) about every 5 weeks. That's a cost of ~$4 a month to keep my pH in the 8.4 range (8.3 ~ 8.5). I've noticed a huge improvement in my corals.

Varible

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an RSK-600 Any chance i could pay you to make a lid like that for me? :)

Noam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm replacing the canister (~1lb of soda lime) about every 5 weeks. That's a cost of ~$4 a month to keep my pH in the 8.4 range (8.3 ~ 8.5). I've noticed a huge improvement in my corals.
Any chance you would sell me the 3D cap? I also use rsk300. My PH is 7.7 and can't get it up. I need that cap urgently :) Thanks

gcosio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on buying the RSK900 and would also be open to buying a 3d printed cap for it, if you are open to that idea....

triciann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I was wondering if I could buy your 3D file from you? My media keeps drying out and I’m hoping this would help keep the moisture.

Jrainey312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this still working for you think about doing something similar. My ph wont go past 7.9

triciann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this still working for you think about doing something similar. My ph wont go past 7.9
I have a scrubber on mine, but it’s not recirculating. It keeps my pH between 8.1 and 8.2, but I replace my media once a week. You can start off trying just the regular scrubber if cost isn’t an issue.

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello. I know this is an old thread, but I have an RSK300 and this is a great idea! Any chance you’d sell me one of these? I have an attachment and a recirculating system right now that works great, but it raises the lid. I like how your idea keeps the lid at its original height.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%
Back