RSM 130c ??

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I know many have asked this before me and i hope that is not a problem. I'm considering getting back into the hobby and currently im looking at a used RSM c 130 tank.
What are your reviews and comments om this tank? Are the stock lights that come with it good enough for lps and soft corals? From what ive seen, people complain mainly about evaporation and about the fan noise. Thank you for your time.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I know many have asked this before me and i hope that is not a problem. I'm considering getting back into the hobby and currently im looking at a used RSM c 130 tank.
What are your reviews and comments om this tank? Are the stock lights that come with it good enough for lps and soft corals? From what ive seen, people complain mainly about evaporation and about the fan noise. Thank you for your time.

Yeah,
Owned the original 130.

The sad part of the 130 and 130D was their factory skimmers.

But they got it right with the C-130 and added a media basket too.

If all 3 sides of the glass are straight right angle panels then it is the C-130, if the front glass has rounded corners as a one 3 sided piece, then it's a 130 or a 130D.

The lights are good, you just need a good auto top off set up (with RO/DI water) to take care of the evaporation and to keep the C Series skimmer dialed in.

Highly recommend the Tunze 3155, but the nano should be good.

Five-gallon holding water container/ the Tunze pump will slide inside.

Last edited:
OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah,
Owned the original 130.

The sad part of the 130 and 130D was their factory skimmers.

But they got it right with the C-130 and added a media basket too.

If all 3 sides of the glass are straight right angle panels then it is the C-130, if the front glass has rounded corners as a one 3 sided piece, then it's a 130 or a 130D.

The lights are good, you just need a good auto top off set up (with RO/DI water) to take care of the evaporation and to keep the C Series skimmer dialed in.

Highly recommend the Tunze 3155, but the nano should be good.

Five-gallon holding water container/ the Tunze pump will slide inside.
So the only thing that you think is not good enough is their protein skimmer? Other than that would you say it is worth it? Also, what about the fan noise, is it actually annoyingly loud? Thanks.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the only thing that you think is not good enough is their protein skimmer? Other than that would you say it is worth it? Also, what about the fan noise, is it actually annoyingly loud? Thanks.

If you're truly looking at a C-130, Red Sea did make that model's protein skimmer right. Just make sure that the glass is made out of 3 panels and with 90 degree right angles.

Check out the difference in the corners:

C-130 / 3 panels straight right angles
red-sea-max-c-series-new-features-2.jpg

It also came with a media basket
slide13-l.jpg

with a lot better return pump design

130 or 130D / one piece rounded corners / had to buy a media basket from InTank
20171119_144430.jpg.af7eea9d7f32cd8f123afac5c9623dd1.jpg

The light fans do have a humming sound, but it was not that big of a deal to me back in 2010.

If you're looking at a 130 or 130D take a pass.

if you're looking at a C-130 (still in prime condition) I'd consider it, but would not go over $200 on the price.

Good luck!!

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're truly looking at a C-130, Red Sea did make that model's protein skimmer right. Just make sure that the glass is made out of 3 panels and with 90 degree right angles.

Check out the difference in the corners:

C-130 / 3 panels straight right angles
red-sea-max-c-series-new-features-2.jpg

It also came with a media basket
slide13-l.jpg

with a lot better return pump design

130 or 130D / one piece rounded corners / had to buy a media basket from InTank
20171119_144430.jpg.af7eea9d7f32cd8f123afac5c9623dd1.jpg

The light fans do have a humming sound, but it was not that big of a deal to me back in 2010.

If you're looking at a 130 or 130D take a pass.

if you're looking at a C-130 (still in prime condition) I'd consider it, but would not go over $200 on the price.

Good luck!!
I am pretty sure that it is a c130, not the normal 130. I will try to attach a photo maybe you could help. Also, I agreed with the seller on $150 approximately. He is going to give me a lot of extra equipment and tools with the tank, including a refractometer.

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-23 at 4.49.51 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-10-23 at 4.50.07 PM.jpeg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure that it is a c130, not the normal 130. I will try to attach a photo maybe you could help. Also, I agreed with the seller on $150 approximately. He is going to give me a lot of extra equipment and tools with the tank, including a refractometer.

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-23 at 4.49.51 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-10-23 at 4.50.07 PM.jpeg

Yes,
It is a C-130

Just make sure with the seller, that the lighting/fans are all good including the analog timer.

and that it's still watertight with no leaks.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,
It is a C-130

Just make sure with the seller, that the lighting/fans are all good including the analog timer.

and that it's still watertight with no leaks.
Thank you very much. How should i check if it is water tight though? I could ask him but he could easily lie.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much. How should i check if it is water tight though? I could ask him but he could easily lie.

Have him sign with a public notary, that if it leaks that you get a total refund, and the cost of the return delivery is on the seller.

If he's close by then you could have him fill up the tank, including the back chamber (in your presents / garden hose with sink adapter) with tap water and sit there for about three to four hours. Watch the top waterline and make sure all the outside seams are still bone dry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have him sign with a public notary, that if it leaks that you get a total refund, and the cost of the return delivery is on the seller.

If he's close by then you could have him fill up the tank, including the back chamber (in your presents / garden hose with sink adapter) with tap water and sit there for about three to four hours. Watch the top waterline and make sure all the outside seams are still bone dry.
I see, yeah i will tell him to fill it up. Thank you. Also earlier you posted a picture of media basket. It has 4 different levels. Any suggestions on what i should place on each platform? The first and obvious one would be activated carbon, but what else?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, yeah i will tell him to fill it up. Thank you. Also earlier you posted a picture of media basket. It has 4 different levels. Any suggestions on what i should place on each platform? The first and obvious one would be activated carbon, but what else?

Yeah,
Buy the blue and white floss media (rolls), cut it into squares that fit the top shelf, and replace each square daily.

example:

Then you could put in activated carbon inside the second shelf, but I liked running the 100ml bags of Purigen.

My basket came from Intank Media with three shelves, so I modded in the Hydor Nano circ pump just under the third chamber, so that detritus would not settle at the bottom of the back chamber

Just remember that a good auto top off setup is a must-have (in the back chamber) to keep your the water level the same height to keep the C-130's skimmer dialed in.

For that set up I would highly recommend just buying the 4 stage RO/DI RO Buddie.
It works very well and you can find replacement cartridges all over the web.

And add this TDS meter right after the mixed bed resin cartridge.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah,
Buy the blue and white floss media (rolls), cut it into squares that fit the top shelf, and replace each square daily.

example:

Then you could put in activated carbon inside the second shelf, but I liked running the 100ml bags of Purigen.

My basket came from Intank Media with three shelves, so I modded in the Hydor Nano circ pump just under the third chamber, so that detritus would not settle at the bottom of the back chamber

Just remember that a good auto top off setup is a must-have (in the back chamber) to keep your the water level the same height to keep the C-130's skimmer dialed in.

For that set up I would highly recommend just buying the 4 stage RO/DI RO Buddie.
It works very well and you can find replacement cartridges all over the web.

And add this TDS meter right after the mixed bed resin cartridge.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Regarding the auto top off, how important/essential is it? Because these tend to be a bit expensive. Also, im not sure if i will have space to put a reservoir for RODI water for the auto top off.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Regarding the auto top off, how important/essential is it? Because these tend to be a bit expensive. Also, im not sure if i will have space to put a reservoir for RODI water for the auto top off.

Auto top off (ATO) is very important (must have) to keep a rear filtration's protein skimmer dialed in.

If your waterline varies then the C-130's skimmer will not stay locked in producing stable skimmate.

You should be able to fit the above 5-gallon lab container inside the C-130's stand.

That Tunze Nano 3152 is $100.00 and you will love it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol
Just noticed that you live close by... ;Happy

Drive to the Aquatic Critter (Nashville) and buy the 5-g lab container or two, you can buy pure RO/DI there if you like. They also sell pre-mixed Red Sea Blue Bucket salt for those containers.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto top off (ATO) is very important (must have) to keep a rear filtration's protein skimmer dialed in.

If your waterline varies then the C-130's skimmer will not stay locked in producing stable skimmate.

You should be able to fit the above 5-gallon lab container inside the C-130's stand.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol

Drive to the Aquatic Critter (Nashville) and buy the 5-g lab container or two, you can buy pure RO/DI there if you like. They also sell pre-mixed Red Sea Blue Bucket salt for those containers.
Oh, I see. I will get an ATO then. I'm worried about it failing though. I've heard many horror stories of ATOs failing and pumping so much RODI water into the tank, killing everything and flooding the house. Does this Tunze Nano have a fail switch?

Also can you please suggest other brands in case I don't find this one? Thanks.

PS: I live in Dubai, not Nashville. So I'm VERY far from you haha

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lol

Ive done some research and the only Tunze Nano 3152 that i could find was nearly $175. I found another one that seems good. What do you think of this one? "DIGITEN ATO" Heres a link on a website for this product as well: https://www.desertcart.ae/products/...r-automatic-ato-system-for-aquarium-with-pump

Thank you!

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I see. I will get an ATO then. I'm worried about it failing though. I've heard many horror stories of ATOs failing and pumping so much RODI water into the tank, killing everything and flooding the house. Does this Tunze Nano have a fail switch?

Also can you please suggest other brands in case I don't find this one? Thanks.

PS: I live in Dubai, not Nashville. So I'm VERY far from you haha

I have the Reef Breeders Prism top off for my Quarantine tank and it works well and has three optical sensors including a “fail” backup sensor.. You can get it on Bulk Reef Supply. I think it goes for only $59 and definitely does the job. Much safer than the Tunze nano if you can’t afford the Tunze 3155.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Reef Breeders Prism top off for my Quarantine tank and it works well and has three optical sensors including a “fail” backup sensor.. You can get it on Bulk Reef Supply. I think it goes for only $59 and definitely does the job. Much safer than the Tunze nano if you can’t afford the Tunze 3155.
I wish I could buy that from BRS, however, as I mentioned earlier I live outside the united states. So any international orders aren't exactly the best choice as I will pay 3x the price of the item just for shipping. Also, with covid and whatnot, international shipping takes ages. I have found another ATO with a ton of good reviews. Its called "DIGITEN ATO". Do you know anything about this one? Thanks

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could buy that from BRS, however, as I mentioned earlier I live outside the united states. So any international orders aren't exactly the best choice as I will pay 3x the price of the item just for shipping. Also, with covid and whatnot, international shipping takes ages. I have found another ATO with a ton of good reviews. Its called "DIGITEN ATO". Do you know anything about this one? Thanks

I apologize, I missed that you mentioned you are outside the US. Not sure about that other brand you mentioned. You might be better off just saving and waiting to get the Tunze 3155. The redundancy for ATO with multiple sensors is critical. Nobody wants a flood...

muggle reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a 130D that I have run for 8 years I think, it is the one with curved corner glass. Someone above mentioned leaks, mine has never leaked a drop of water. So that is a plus in the tanks favor. The sump is on the back side of the tank, it is a good beginners tank. I say that because you don:t have the complexity of an under tank sump so no issues ever with tank over flow.

The hood design is a negative, I would recommend eliminating the hood if you can and running a light suspended over the tank. I have grown soft corals in the tank no problem. The hood traps heat and so my water temp was always high. I have run a chiller to control temp as we wanted the closed up hood. It looks cleaner. I think the better answer is to have a shroud made for the back of the tank that covers up wires and the skimmer box sitting above the top line of the tank. Then suspend a light over the tank. I am sure the newer ones are better in some ways but I don:t think I will own another tank with a hood on it like this and will go rimless. The new rimmless 130 max tanks have something like a shroud to hide the skimmer.

Autotop off would be a big plus for this tank, but isn:t that the case for any tank? I stubbornly did this the hard(wrong way) way the last 8 years, topped off sporadically, let water levels drop to much, it all worked okay. I have done most of the things wrong that you can do, but it is amazing what hardy fish and corals will survive if you change the water regularly and keep the water temperature under 80. Some say you can run 82, I know from experience you shorten the lives of your live stock and create more algae issues when temps are high. I adamantly believe 77 or less is where you want the base temp.

I still do not own or run a water top off. I did not know such a thing existed until a couple weeks ago. Now am in the position that I don:t run one because I have not purchased one yet. I will be adding one or upgrading tanks with auto top off but that to me is Something I want.

Running a hood, you will never need a heater in your tank For what it is worth.

I don:t think the skimmer is great, on my tank, but it works As far as I can tell. I am at the point where I want to run a bigger tank with a sump underneath. I will use this tank though for a while as an acclimation tank as I build the live stock, corals and fish for the new tank.

In sum I do think Red Sea Max tanks are a good beginners tank. There is enough to think about with your first tank such as cycling a tank and so on. I really liked it from the standpoint of I got every piece of equipment in one two boxes To start out. You can add infinite complexity and over thinking as you can see from this forum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
I own a 130D that I have run for 8 years I think, it is the one with curved corner glass. Someone above mentioned leaks, mine has never leaked a drop of water. So that is a plus in the tanks favor. The sump is on the back side of the tank, it is a good beginners tank. I say that because you don:t have the complexity of an under tank sump so no issues ever with tank over flow.

The hood design is a negative, I would recommend eliminating the hood if you can and running a light suspended over the tank. I have grown soft corals in the tank no problem. The hood traps heat and so my water temp was always high. I have run a chiller to control temp as we wanted the closed up hood. It looks cleaner. I think the better answer is to have a shroud made for the back of the tank that covers up wires and the skimmer box sitting above the top line of the tank. Then suspend a light over the tank. I am sure the newer ones are better in some ways but I don:t think I will own another tank with a hood on it like this and will go rimless. The new rimmless 130 max tanks have something like a shroud to hide the skimmer.

Autotop off would be a big plus for this tank, but isn:t that the case for any tank? I stubbornly did this the hard(wrong way) way the last 8 years, topped off sporadically, let water levels drop to much, it all worked okay. I have done most of the things wrong that you can do, but it is amazing what hardy fish and corals will survive if you change the water regularly and keep the water temperature under 80. Some say you can run 82, I know from experience you shorten the lives of your live stock and create more algae issues when temps are high. I adamantly believe 77 or less is where you want the base temp.

I still do not own or run a water top off. I did not know such a thing existed until a couple weeks ago. Now am in the position that I don:t run one because I have not purchased one yet. I will be adding one or upgrading tanks with auto top off but that to me is Something I want.

Running a hood, you will never need a heater in your tank For what it is worth.

I don:t think the skimmer is great, on my tank, but it works As far as I can tell. I am at the point where I want to run a bigger tank with a sump underneath. I will use this tank though for a while as an acclimation tank as I build the live stock, corals and fish for the new tank.

In sum I do think Red Sea Max tanks are a good beginners tank. There is enough to think about with your first tank such as cycling a tank and so on. I really liked it from the standpoint of I got every piece of equipment in one two boxes To start out. You can add infinite complexity and over thinking as you can see from this forum.
Thank you for writing all that. I agree with you on the rimless part, it does look way better. But there are two main problems that are stopping me from going rimless. 1) I don't know which type of light to use for this tank (preferably, one with a timer) and 2) lights are SO expensive and if I stick with the stock lights it would save me money that I could spend on a good ATO or on testing kits, corals, etc.
Regardless, I would really appreciate it if you could suggest a couple of LED light systems that will be good for my C 130 tank. Thank you!

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize, I missed that you mentioned you are outside the US. Not sure about that other brand you mentioned. You might be better off just saving and waiting to get the Tunze 3155. The redundancy for ATO with multiple sensors is critical. Nobody wants a flood...
I will try to find a Tunze 3155 for a reasonable price here locally, otherwise, i have no option but to stick to the one i found. Thank you for your help.

Back