Rsm250 flow help

james30ct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debating on adding some flow to the tank. 66 gallon mixed reef with an anemone. Was thinking about a gyre. Do you think the icecap2k is a good option? Or would you pick an mp-10? Or something else?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just my opinion, but I think any gyre is a bit much for a 66g tank. I have a 90g tank (36x30x20) and I took my gyre out as it was more than I wanted all from one location. I'd rather have 2 and maybe even 3 smaller wavemakers so I get a much more random flow throughout the tank.

I got 2 Coral Box Reverse Nano Pumps and put one on either side of my center overflow on the back glass. Again, it's just my personal opinion, but I think Eco Tech MP wavemakers are highly over priced for what you get.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think MP10s will be good for your tank. I have two MP40s in my RSR250 (65 gl) and I couldn’t get it higher than 3 without end up with sand dunes. Mind you I have Fiji pink sands though. Also, my tank will be LPS and softies dominant tank so I don’t need very high turbulence in the tank.

OP
OP
james30ct

james30ct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at 2 Tunze dc powerheads and link them together.
You could go cheap with Jeabo as I just retired mine. They work well but I wont be supporting them anymore.
I had jebao powerheads on my old tank and the broke in under a year. All set with them.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two xf230 on opposing sides of the tank, these needed to be turned down to alternating currents of 30% so one would probably do but I liked the opposing changing flow. I liked the gyre type pump because you can literally mount it 1" below the frame trim so it is seamlessly out of sight.
One thing about having these type of pumps with this type of tank is that you might experience an annoying trickling sound due to how the overflow is situated and how high you place the pump.
Aesthetics vs function, tough choice sometimes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back