Red Sea REEFER 250 ALL Pre-Conditioned and most CAPTIVE-BRED Fish, SPS, Zoanthids. Slow Poke Reef. WE HAVE WATER!! start page 61.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my Icecap Smart RODI, COR-20 Apex return pump, Apex ATK, Apex RO solenoid, and Apex Optical Sensor. Also new equipment on the way: Red Sea Skimmer. Ignore the espresso machine it is for our family owned health food store and just got it out of the repair shop today. I plan to do and unboxing on the Red Sea Skimmer and possibly on the Rodi and/or return pump.
unnamed (7).jpg

Steve1025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Hope you don't mind me jumping in, i to am waiting for the Red Sea Reefer RSK300, this will go into my Reefer 450, replacing my Deltec 1660, the stand i had to get to raise the RSK300 is here, i am looking to see if the ORP does indeed reach the 350 range.
It's great unwrapping new stuff.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Steve1025 nice to meet you. Any idea when these skimmers are shipping? What stand did you get? I won't know my ORP until I upgrade my ApexEL to an Apex 2016. ApexEL doesn't have capacity to measure ORP without a special module. What are you measuring OPR with?

Steve1025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
I have been in touch with my supplier and they are still waiting on shipment from RedSea!, hopefully not to much more to wait.
The stand that i bought was a Reef Octopus skimmer stand -SS1, £43.00, on the RedSea website it showed the skimmer overall base size, in two planes, the SS1 stand suited the position i needed to fit my sump area and of course the required height for optimal skimmer water depth, also the stand has three height adjustments.
I measure ORP with an Aqua Medic unit that i used for ozone control, i hope this helps and happy Reefing.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Steve1025 Back when I pre-ordered my RS skimmer at the end of November I remember seeing something about them shipping out mid-December. Well mid-January is upon us. I don't have my tank setup now and won't set it up until my fiance and I have our new place so I'm in no hurry for the skimmer although I'd like to do an unboxing video when I do receive it. I Googled your skimmer stand and it looks nice and also like the new skimmer stands with leveler from Eshopps. I probably would only need a skimmer stand if I moved my skimmer to the refugium section of my custom sump. You must be in the UK by the looks of the monetary symbol you used in your post above. I Googled an Aqua Medic oz0ne control and found one on the German site Aquaristik Shop here. Is this the one you used? I used ozone back at the turn of the millennia. I got poor results as the ozone made the skimmer foam bubbles less stable. I noticed for sale an Aqua Medic pocket microscope also on the same site as the ozone controller. It is something I would like to have to detect for parasites on coral.

Steve1025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
I live in East Anglia in the UK, and have just recently joined Reef2Reef, i to was looking at mid Dec but not to be.
I will check out the Aquamedic model for the controller and let you know but it will be European on the power, i know ORP is something not to chase but Red Sea has made the statement, so will be worth looking at.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm tempted to buy this to examine for coral pests although they are spendy at $56.85 USD. My girlfriend said she will buy me other this magnifier, that has LED lights on the backside is comparable to the microscope in usage and value. Now I'm not sure which one I want. Maybe I will get both.
unnamed (4).jpg

Steve1025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm tempted to buy this to examine for coral pests although they are spendy at $56.85 USD. My girlfriend said she will buy me other this magnifier, that has LED lights on the backside is comparable to the microscope in usage and value. Now I'm not sure which one I want. Maybe I will get both.
unnamed (4).jpg
Hi.
The ORP controller is an AquaMedic, MV computer.
I hope this helps.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sneak peek and the REEFER skimmer. Packaged quite well. Overall looked pretty good except one thing is very different with skimmer is base plate isn't acrylic. It's plastic because it houses a set of gears built-in to the base plate that are for reaction chamber water output right through the bottom of the skimmer. I think they use the plastic base plate to minimize space when putting the gears in it and to lighten overall weight. The thing is quite light. On the downside the plastic base-plate lessens durable integrity but only to a slight degree. It could crack (not the gears , the plate) given the right circumstances but highly unlikely if used properly. Can't wait to find out how quiet this thing is and get some more pictures. BTW it has a unique rubber fitting to reduce vibrations between the volute and hole through the body for the volute. Very ingenious.
unnamed (8).jpg
unnamed (9).jpg
unnamed (10).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Steve1025 nice to meet you. Any idea when these skimmers are shipping? What stand did you get? I won't know my ORP until I upgrade my ApexEL to an Apex 2016. ApexEL doesn't have capacity to measure ORP without a special module. What are you measuring OPR with?
@Steve1025 forgot ApexEL will do ORP without any additional modules. Did you get your REEFER skimmer yet? I looked at your Aqua Medic ORP controller on the German site. I am very curious what ORP in millivolts the skimmer will produce. Hope Red Sea is right with the 350 mV rating.

Steve1025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Yup, Red Sea RSK 300, up and running, had it over a week now and i am extremely pleased with it, still waiting to see ORP to rise but i won't be chaseing it.
The dialing control to raise or lower the foam level is very accurate and once set is stable, my stand is set to the correct height which is shown on the foam adjuster rod, overall a great piece of kit.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found RedSea use of ORP in their ad lame. What is more important is ease of use; setup, ease of maintenance and consistency between cleaning.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rhf/feature/index.php

Looks like a good skimmer, a bit cheaper than some of the alternatives.
@AcanthurusRex I believe the reason they advertise an ORP rating on these skimmers is because for many, many years Red Sea sold hobby grade ozone producing units and man they sold quite a few. The problem with them is they were expensive and unnecessary to keep ORP acceptable and to dissolve organics. I had a non-Red Sea brand one that was quite cheap and ineffective. Red Sea recently discontinued selling these a few years ago and they now have to advertise their skimmers as producing enough ORP without ozone injection since ozone use is not nearly popular anymore. And that they cannot sell you an ozone unit to go with your skimmer. Red Sea claims these skimmers will produce 350 millivolts of ORP and that is a good healthy target although it can range above and below that target quite a bit and you'd still be okay. I agree with you that the things you list as more important are more important to me as well. Chasing ORP is very hard without ozone injection.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Yup, Red Sea RSK 300, up and running, had it over a week now and i am extremely pleased with it, still waiting to see ORP to rise but i won't be chaseing it.
The dialing control to raise or lower the foam level is very accurate and once set is stable, my stand is set to the correct height which is shown on the foam adjuster rod, overall a great piece of kit.
@Steve1025 How noisy is this skimmer? It will be awhile before I get mine running. If you get a chance could you measure the sound with a decibel meter? With smart phones over here you can get apps with phones using the Andriod or iOS operating system. Don't know what you got over there. I use Decibel X app which measures decibels on my iPhone 7 with iOS operating system. The real test for noise would be comparisons in this thread: Completely Dead Silent Skimmer Recommendation https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/completely-dead-silent-skimmer-recommendation.321243/page-4

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I need a BBU on my system here in Montana. The snow here in this picture is piled up to the roof eve on our store. Our frequent snowstorms cause a lot of power outages.

image1.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back