RSR 250-V4 build

Dennon 2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My first salt water aquarium. Things are moving quite slowly (because I can’t just assemble things the way the manufacturer intended). So far I have modified the stand by adding an additional support inside the cabinet, similar to the RSR 350. I just finished replacing the button with a nail feet with adjustable feet. (an interesting game is to place a ball on the floor against a wall and then guess at where it will end up). I just finished drilling what I believe to be the last hole in the aquarium overflow box. I had drilled four holes already. Two on the front panel near the upper corners. I will be installing A pair of Hydor Flo rotating nozzles (unless the return water pressure keeps popping them out). Alternatively two of those flow randomizers that have no moving parts. I am a fan of symmetry, and not a fan of the restrictive OEM elbow preceding their non centralized nozzle. The remaining three holes are at the bottom of the overflow box, one in the middle of the front panel and one near the front corner of each of the side panels. These holes are to supply return water to ..... I’m going to hear about this one ..... the reverse flow Under Gravel Filter. My theory being that with sufficient flow the fish poop will magically float to the surface and be drawn into the overflow box, never to be seen again, until it’s time to change my socks. Is anybody still reading this? I guess I should add a few pictures before everyone falls asleep.

C4333DD5-D7F4-4C3C-8EC6-CC851CF08904.jpeg 7C31D3AD-EB16-4D69-9BEF-6E23378A7416.jpeg

OP
Dennon 2010

Dennon 2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I had visions of the stand falling of off scraps of 2by4’s as I attempted to adjust the feet. Then the soup can idea came to me. With four cans I could adjust the four (actually only three get adjusted) corners. Then with a fifth soup can I would adjust the remaining eight feet. No earth shattering kaboom, no damaged wall, no dinged up stand. Next drilling hole number five in the overflow box. Yes I went off on a singleminded tangent, as I tend to do. I’ve been reading many threads online. Temperature, placement of probes, placement of heaters, water chemistry, differences in said chemistry at the surface of the tank etc. So completely ignoring the fact that I will be using an UGF and that the temperature of the water will thus pretty much be uniform. Chemistry pretty much the same, perhaps not at the surface though. I figured the best spot to sample water would be from as close to the middle of the aquarium as possible. Hence hole number five. And it also presents a great opportunity to complicate my emergency overflow plumbing. I didn’t want to drill any new bulkhead holes, nor did I want to restrict either of the drain tubes with a dedicated line from hole #5. I do have it figured out, but I’m sure that you now have an inkling of just how it is that I complicate things. I did realize the virtual redundancy of what I was doing before I drilled that fifth hole. But you see, I had already bought the various pieces to make it work AND I had figured out how to get the water from there to where I needed it to be, without restricting either of my drain standpipes. In the end I just could not accept that the death of all those much needed brain cells would go for naught. And I couldn’t see the harm in proceeding, other than the risk of breaking the glass that I was going to drill yet another hole in.

67CEC39C-63D0-4114-B130-423E75935C31.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Dennon 2010

Dennon 2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Things still on the tinker list. How to “fix” the upper overflow comb, grill, grate, thingy. The 95% reworking of the sump. So much filter sock hatred plugging up the internet (see what I did there?) since I have no experience with socks , my current plan is to add more and clean less. Four socks should only need cleaning half as often as two, right? So to anyone with a Sea Reefer who has removed their socks and sock holders (the black plastic bit that was silicone into your sump (without damaging them) I would be interested in buying one of the double ones from you. I can buy the replacement drawer but not the part that it slides into. I hope that I am allowed to put that in here rather than in the buy/sell part of this forum. These changes are the reason for my V4 designation. How many people checked the net for the “NEW” sump design? for the overflow strainer thingy, I am thinking of replacing the big one with two of the smaller ones that are currently used on the side. Or with more research perhaps some of the larger tanks use longer grates, either in the overflow or in their larger sumps. (Hint measurements would be appreciated) required length is 21.5 cm or 8.5 inches. It can be a bit longer. Thanks in advance.

OP
Dennon 2010

Dennon 2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Does anyone know what is the best way to remove glass braces that are held in place by something other than silicone? They have these small black circles ⚫️ . I have been using dental floss and a razor blade to remove the bulkheads from my sump. Not working well at all for these stick on circles though. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Avast
OP
Dennon 2010

Dennon 2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Just ordered a new skimmer. Seachem’s Aquavitro Division 125. They have been available for almost a year now, but very little information out there. I was not able to find out what the footprint dimensions are, so took a chance and ordered it anyway. We will see how things go once it arrives.

What temperature do you think it too high for your reef tank?

Votes: 10 8.6%

Votes: 23 19.8%

Votes: 26 22.4%

Votes: 23 19.8%

Votes: 15 12.9%
  • 84+

Votes: 15 12.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 3.4%
Tropic Marin USA