Rubber band cut through leather stalk

eliza209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased my first toadstool leather. Reading on how to secure it in the tank, I used a rubber band on some rubble rock. It has looked great for over a week, but this afternoon I found the band cut the stalk. What can I do?

OP
OP
eliza209

eliza209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have left the section on the rubber band where it was in the sand bed, and moved the upper portion onto the rock. I thought it was loose enough and it was a thin rubber band. Should I re-secure the top portion to another piece of rock?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with a sinularia, came off the plug it was rubber band to 3 times. Put it in a small plastic container filled with rubble rock and set it in the sand. About a week later it was attached tho a small rock that I glued to my rock scape. Hope this helps, good luck.

OP
OP
eliza209

eliza209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with a sinularia, came off the plug it was rubber band to 3 times. Put it in a small plastic container filled with rubble rock and set it in the sand. About a week later it was attached tho a small rock that I glued to my rock scape. Hope this helps, good luck.
Thanks! I’ll try that.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers are really hardy. Both will probably grow.

Yes, attach to rock. They won't attach to sand.

If they're too small to get a rubber band around (with a barely snug fit, not a tight fit), other options are...
  • gently tie down with a fine nylon thread/fishing line
  • dab them off as dry as you can with a paper towel, then super glue to the rock (since they slime a lot it's tricky, but doable)
  • if the leather frag is big enough, you can place a piece of rock rubble on top of a corner of it to keep it weighted down against your rock work

OP
OP
eliza209

eliza209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers are really hardy. Both will probably grow.

Yes, attach to rock. They won't attach to sand.

If they're too small to get a rubber band around (with a barely snug fit, not a tight fit), other options are...
  • gently tie down with a fine nylon thread/fishing line
  • dab them off as dry as you can with a paper towel, then super glue to the rock (since they slime a lot it's tricky, but doable)
  • if the leather frag is big enough, you can place a piece of rock rubble on top of a corner of it to keep it weighted down against your rock work
I would never have considered putting a piece of rock on the top to hold it down. It is pretty large. Thanks for additional suggestions!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I usually have good luck using 2 small pieces of rock and trapping the stalk of the leather coral between them and holding it together with a rubber band.

OP
OP
eliza209

eliza209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! Thanks for all of the suggestions. I started with the cup of rubble rock. My leather is looking great! I'm going to give it a few more days before checking that it's connected to a rock to glue down. The piece that was connected to the old rock hasn't done anything, so I'm thinking it's time to remove it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back